• Roy Stewart
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
More
9 years 11 months ago #100794 by Roy Stewart
To all IFAS Members..

I have been thinking about this for a very long time
and now I finally have to put it out there..

I believe that we here in Ireland don't hold enough weekend
observing sessions... I am not affiliated to any club so this is not club motivated
it is being done purely from a passion for observing..
I know that we don't get that many clear skies but surely over the weekend we would get some nice
breaks in the clouds..
I have been talking with Stephen from Ktec telescope and Dave Connolly of the Midlands astronomy club
about this but now I'm throwing it out there into the IFAS Ether.

It is now a major possibility now that we have an official dark sky site in South Kerry..
So tidy up the tents and sleeping bags. Clean the BBQ's and Collimate your scope
cause this type of event is truly overdue.

PLZ send me your feedback on this as I believe this is obtainable.

Regards
Roy Stewart

Crazy Observational Astronomer and Lunar Nut

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #100795 by StephenK
Definitely sounds like a plan. I know Michael O Connell and Dave were talking about this too, so lets pick a weekend, and get down there and have a bit of craic.

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Graham, Roy Stewart

More
9 years 11 months ago #100799 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
I'd be on for this.

The Dublin Stargazers have a thread about this but only two members (myself included) have expressed an interest.

I second Stephen's idea. Pick a weekend and go for it.

I'll link to this thread in the Stargazers thread.

Michael.

More
9 years 11 months ago #100801 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
Sounds good Roy, thanks for volunteering in organising it! :)

I talked to Albert White and Terry Moseley on the day South Kerry got their endorsement and there are plans for perhaps an ILPAC+IFAS event, but I don't know at what stage it is at. I do know that early September was mooted as a date as heading into Summer it doesn't favour much night time observing, and the skies get a little hazy when clear, too.

I'd be up for any trip.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Roy Stewart
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #100803 by Roy Stewart
Replied by Roy Stewart on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
Hi Seanie.

I totally agree with you about sometime in Sept as we get the dark
skies back around then... I was thinking sometime around an early or late Crescent Moon
and looking at Starry Night Pro 6 there is a nice waning Crescent on Fri 19th Sept..
I was think we cant totally exclude the Moon as I know a lot of observers out there(I.E myself)
love a bit of lunar imaging and viewing..

If this ball is to get rolling (and I don't mind spearheading the project if ye want)
But we need to see who wants on-board.. Maybe organize a meeting between clubs
and hash out some ideas. If all goes well it could become a big annual event.
An astronomical event to put Ireland on the radar of the Astronomical community.

Regards
Roy Stewart
#LunarNut

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris

More
9 years 11 months ago #100808 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
Sounds like a great idea, I just signed up via Michael's link.

Looking at the Kerry Dark Sky website, it certainly looks to be an ideal location, I really like the images from the beach. I know sand, wind and telescopes are not a nice combination, but that would make a truly wonderful location.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds