Lunar Eclipse All Nighter @Rathbeggan Lakes

• KevinSmith
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #104728 by KevinSmith
Hi All

We have a great all night event planned for the Lunar Eclipse on Sunday 27th and would like to extend a warm welcome to anyone who would like to come along and set their scopes up and help promote astronomy. Although based in Meath (Rathbeggan Lakes for non dark site events) the events are open to everyone, free of charge and the location is also suitable for children of all ages - we will have some scopes set up low for easy access observing.

Hope to See You there.

Clear Skies!
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Seanie_Morris. Reason: typo on the date!
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Mike, flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #104850 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Lunar Eclipse All Nighter @Rathbeggan Lakes
Hello, Kevin Smith.

My wife Valerie and I are interested in attending the Rathbeggan Lakes on Sunday night 27th September to view the Total Lunar Eclipse.
I am just checking -I'm sure it is the case that toilet facilities are available throughout the night? Also can our car stay near the telescope? I shall be bringing a 158mm apochromatic refractor -it is quite heavy.
My final question is as the eclipsed Moon gets lower in the western sky -will we be still able to observe it? In other words, will there still be a low western horizon without trees blocking our observation site?
Thank you, Kevin.

Clear skies,
Aubrey.

• KevinSmith
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
8 years 7 months ago #104851 by KevinSmith
Replied by KevinSmith on topic Lunar Eclipse All Nighter @Rathbeggan Lakes
Good Evening Aubrey

Your most welcome to attend and yes you are correct the toilet facilities are available throughout the night.
The car park is about 100m from the closest observing area but we can either help you carry or I can ask that you drive in and drop the scope and drive out again - this is what I usually do when I get there early.

There is a clear western horizon for most of the area but a line of trees for some of it so you just need to pick your spot. I have attached the map from google earth and most area from the lawn is clear out to the west. Also attached is a view from the zip line tower. I can show you where the ecliptic runs anyway once you get there and there is plenty space.

Hope to see you soon.

Thanks

Kevin

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
8 years 7 months ago #104852 by flt158
Thank you, Kevin, for all your excellent information to me.
It would be good to unload my telescope first before parking the car elsewhere.
It sure seems as though everyone will be in for a treat on Sunday night week.
This will surely encourage many more observers to join us at the Rathbeggan Lakes.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 7 months ago #104862 by flt158
Hello again, Kevin.
I visited Rathbeggan Lakes on Friday afternoon and I met with Claire. I showed her this website and she expressed interest in your upcoming event on Sunday week. She tells me you may have been in contact with a chap called Dave who is the boss. He has been on holiday -but she informed me he is coming back this weekend.
Also her shop has only a limited amount of refreshments. Maybe we need to bring our own grub.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinSmith

• KevinSmith
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
8 years 7 months ago #104863 by KevinSmith
Replied by KevinSmith on topic Lunar Eclipse All Nighter @Rathbeggan Lakes
Thanks Aubrey

Yes it the owner Dave that I arrange events with. They also advertise the event on their Facebook page. Dave has said he could put a hot dog van on but there are also BBQ stands people may use. We are maybe even thinking of doing a charity BBQ but there is a lot on already.
Yes the shop really only sells snacks as in crisps, biscuits and sweets along with cool drinks and hot drinks so probably good to bring some additional food.

Regards

Kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds