K-Tec

Petition to Introduce Legislation to Combat light Pollution

More
7 years 10 months ago #105868 by bensug
Hi All,

Strictly speaking this is for UK citizens or residents only but as I know quite a few of us North and South qualify for a vote on this petition, I thought I would post this up.

If you have astro friends in the UK or if anyone has connections to clubs/societies, definitely make contact to spread the word as soon as possible. The deadline is in 22nd July. I have posted the advert for this I saw up on Astrobuysell UK below.

Thanks,

Ben

Petition to Introduce Legislation to Combat light Pollution in the UK.Please read if you are an astronomer as it concerns you.
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119428

We (several ordinary members) on Star Gazers Lounge (SGL), were informed just recently about a petition to combat light pollution, it unfortunately now only has just under two months to run. It is endorsed by the CfDS and information is on their web site. Since becoming aware quite late unfortunately we have been trying to advertise this petition in the hope of getting enough signatures to get the matter discussed in Parliament. In the short time we have been trying, a matter just under 15 days, the count has risen from just 58 to about 4338 as of today 26-05-2016

Time is of the essence if we are to get any real and meaningful response from the Government. We need 10,000 signatures just to elicit any response. If the number of signatories manages to pass 100,000 there hopefully will be a Parliamentary debate on this issue.

Here in the UK as in many other countries we are plagued by ill conceived lighting. It affects the night sky and the health of ourselves and our children, not to mention wild life.

There are other issues but as astronomers we should act to at least try to limit the spread of light pollution.

Your signatures will be appreciated. Thank you for reading. This is a secure website (https)and it requires you to fill in your name, email address and post code only. Just copy and paste the address into your web browser to go there. OR, if worried about copy and pasting, write it down yourself. I don't think I can make this a Hyperlink here. Thanks.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119428

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds