Dark galaxies of the early universe spotted for the first ti

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
11 years 9 months ago #94477 by albertw
Pretty significant discovery:

For the first time, dark galaxies — an early phase of galaxy formation, predicted by theory but unobserved until now — have been spotted. These objects are essentially gas-rich galaxies without stars. Using ESO's Very Large Telescope, an international team has detected these elusive objects by observing them glowing as they are illuminated by a quasar. The team report their results in a paper in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

More at: www.ras.org.uk/news-and-press/219-news-2...d-for-the-first-time

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #94478 by Keith g
I've just been reading this Albert - "Small absorption dips in the spectra of background sources of light have hinted at their existence" Isn't it such a thrill that we are now well and truly in a golden era of discovery, to see these early galaxies from so long ago is awe inspiring.

Though I have to ask, is this just a binch of galaxies so early in exisitance that they had not yet had sufficient time to form their future stars - or are they made of the elusive 'dark matter'?

Keith.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
11 years 9 months ago #94481 by albertw

Keith g wrote: Though I have to ask, is this just a binch of galaxies so early in exisitance that they had not yet had sufficient time to form their future stars - or are they made of the elusive 'dark matter'?

I think the former, the paper doesn't appear to be published yet, so all I have is that article.

By the way there was another article doing the rounds today about dark matter detection between two galaxies www.space.com/16412-dark-matter-filament-galaxy-clusters.html ( paper if you have access to nature: www.nature.com/nature/journal/v487/n7406/full/nature11224.html )

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/
The following user(s) said Thank You: katata

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds