Did You Know...

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 3 months ago #102653 by lunartic_old
Did You Know... was created by lunartic_old
That all of the stars of Orion are doubles? No, neither did I until the early hours of this morning. I got out of at 3 am and the sky was beautifully clear, Orion was starting to sink towards the west and I could no help but look. Imagine my amazement when all of the main stars were doubles. :bigshock: Needless to say I knew this couldn't be so, I turned to Sirius, I know that Sirius is a double, what I didn't know was that the companion was of equal magnitude, amazing. :woohoo: The shocks did not stop there, Capella was a double, as was Castor and Pollux, and then, most astonishing of all, Jupiter is a double planet :bigshock: , who would have believed that?

As I stood there in the cold and tried to figure this out it suddenly came to me, I had been observing the sky with the famous optical company, Carlsberg, and their finest product.

It was then my wife told me to get into the house in case any of the neighbours spotted me and questioned my sanity. :pinch:

Just to ease the minds of anyone out there who might be concerned about my mental state, I got out of a car at 3 am, I wasn't driving, we were visiting with family and there was plenty of the Carlsberg Optical Company's product on offer. ;-)

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102655 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Did You Know...
Great report on your harrowing experience Paul. Was your wife doubled also??
Great report on your harrowing experience Paul. Was your wife doubled also??
Mike
Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunartic_old

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 3 months ago #102657 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Did You Know...
:laugh: :laugh:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
9 years 3 months ago #102662 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Did You Know...
Praise God -I don't drink.

And I certainly will be sober on March 20th!! I am on a plane observing my 9th TSE.

Aubrey.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102663 by ploughc
Replied by ploughc on topic Did You Know...
Paul I was looking at Orion last night as well, and two stars that are double are 32 Orion and 52 Orion.
I have tried to split these two a few times before with no luck, but last night at 11 o clock the seeing was
very good the best for quite awhile, I was using a 159mm reflector and a 6mm eyepiece giving me 275x
both stars split with a tiny gap. All looked white to me with 52 slightly more difficult. A good night even if
I did not see as many doubles as you.

Pat.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 3 months ago #102664 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Did You Know...
Just to clarify, I didn't actually have double vision, its just a little story that I thought would give a bit of a laugh. The 3am and the few Carlsbergs was true however.

I must be a better storyteller than I thought. :laugh:

Paul

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds