K-Tec

IAS observing session last night -16/01/15

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 3 months ago #102872 by flt158
My special thanks to Peter from the IAS for organising a most brilliant observing out beyond Naas at the Gliding Club. I was observing from just after 5pm till about 10pm.

I sought out no less than 6 planets in the night sky and the Comet Lovejoy. Something tells me I don't think I shall ever witness a night such as this ever again.

1. My first planet was of course Venus which was 3 degrees east of Mercury. I spotted them both in the same field of view at 11X in the guidescope side by side. Venus was -3.9, Mercury -0.3. I could not make out the phase of either as there was boiling haze. I observed both at 112X.
2. My 3rd planet was Mars. Its magnitude was +1.1. I could make out its brownish disc at 140X -no surface markings of course. It is too small.
3. My 4th planet was neighbouring Neptune. I could make out its blue disc at 167X.
4. I split Sigma Aquarii beside Neptune at 167X. A is 4.8, B is 8.5.
5. Menkar (Alpha Ceti) easy split at 11X
6. Kaffaljidhma (Gamma Ceti) split at 140X. A 3.5, B is 6.2.
7. Alrisha (Alpha Piscium) split at 112X. A is 4.1, B is 5.2.
8. Zeta Piscium split at 11X.
9. And so unto Uranus by star hopping from the 4 previous stars listed above. Lovely green disc at 167X.
10. Back to Cetus the whale. Split double star 66 Ceti at 40X.
11. Mira. It took me a while to find "The Wonderful One" as it is at minimum magnitude. It had a strong red tinge in colour, and I estimated its magnitude at 9.3. Being patient was worth it.
12. After pointing at the Pleiades in the guidescope at 11X, I quickly found Comet Lovejoy, and it was splendid at 112X and 167X. I could not see it with my unaided eye and it had no colour or tail. But it was very impressive all the same.
13.Beside M35 in western Gemini, I was completely surprised to see NGC 2158 to its west. This was my first observation of it with my 6.2" apo. I could see at 40X and 112X.
14. The 4 moons were on the eastern side of Jupiter -very nice sight at 112X.
15. Then someone mentioned I should give M1 a try. To my utter amazement I very quickly found The Crab Nebula north of Zeta Tauri. We were definitely under minimum light polluted skies. The double star STF 742 was to its east. A is 7.1, B is 7.5 split at 112X.
16. Algieba (Gamma Leonis) split at 112X.

This was a most enjoyable evening. I am going to remember the 16th January 2015 for the rest of my days. There were about 10 observers and the chat was excellent. There was a biting cold wind going on all the time and I was freezing even with 5 layers on me.

We have asked Peter to arrange it all again next month weather permitting. Best regards to him.

Thank you for reading.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony, Bruno, martinus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102875 by Bruno
Replied by Bruno on topic IAS observing session last night -16/01/15
Great report Aubrey. You are a formidable observer and recorder. Many thanks again to Peter Denman for organising the evening. It is a great location with good access and facilities. I really enjoyed the company and had a great view of Lovejoy. Here is a picture of Val, Aubrey and Peter enjoying themselves in the cold.

John

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Mike, flt158

More
9 years 3 months ago #102882 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic IAS observing session last night -16/01/15
You got a lot done Aubery, some nights just have 'it'. A nice shot of you all too against the backdrop of the plough.

Keith
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 3 months ago #102883 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic IAS observing session last night -16/01/15
I am still pinching myself. Did I really observe 7 Solar System bodies?

Thankfully, my diary does NOT tell lies!!

Aubrey.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102885 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic IAS observing session last night -16/01/15
Sounds like a great night, that's a heck of a way to start the year, Aubrey, how are you going to top that?

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 3 months ago #102889 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic IAS observing session last night -16/01/15
Eh -I won't!

However there is that upcoming Total Solar Eclipse on March 20th. And that probably will be the greatest single observing event for my 2015.

But I would say January 16th will not be bettered as an observing session throughout the rest of this year.

By the way, I think this observing location should replace the Sugarloaf Car Park.

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds