• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 10 months ago #104089 by flt158
Challenging Double star in Bootis was created by flt158
Hi all.

I had a good night on Tuesday night 19th May with my 6.2"apo in my backyard. I started with the usual observations of Venus and Jupiter -I saw Europa reappearing from Jupiter's large shadow live at 22.13. It took a minute and a half to reach its normal brightness. Good start to the evening.

I then headed over to Bootes to check out some goodies. First off was Izar split at 140X (as per usual). I headed over to Delta Bootis and saw its 2 components even at 11X in the 70mm telescope. It is a good guide as I moved the telescopes to Alkalurops (Mu Bootis) an excellent triple star which was very nice to split again at powers 112X, 140X and 167X. A is yellow and its 2 close companions are white to me.

The challenging double star I want to talk to you about is Stt 298 which is easy to find. Nearby is Nu 1 & 2 Bootis and Mu Bootis. I had bought the May issue of Astronomy Now. They highlighted Stt 298 as their double star of the month. They said that it is a difficult star to split; A and B currently have a separation of 1.2 arc seconds with a PA of 184 degrees. As I wanted to make sure I was looking at the correct star, I started at 40X. There is a 7.6 magnitude star immediately to its north (which is handy). It was then I knew I had found Stt 298. I went through magnifications 140X, 167X -still no double. But then at 225X, I got the clean split -and was utterly delighted. Both stars have a very slight orange tint -A is 7.2 and B is 8.4 in magnitude. To make sure of the separation, out came my 4mm TMB eyepiece which yields 280X. I was then certain I had been successful in splitting Stt 298. Perhaps others have been also successful in viewing this remarkable little gem!

Thank you for reading,

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, mykc, scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #104093 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Challenging Double star in Bootis
Thanks for the nice report Aubrey, and for highlighting STT 298. I checked it out last night and it is a very nice target - three yellow stars, all quite bright, forming a super wide pair (AB,C) and a very tight pair (AB). The AB system was barely resolved at 215x, and cleanly split at 350x, luckily the seeing was good last night. A list of other targets that I checked out in Bootes last night is posted separately.

With thanks again,
Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds