• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 6 months ago #101823 by lunartic_old
Equipment Check was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

The seeing tonight is pretty c**p, still, I set up the scope for a couple of reasons, I recently purchased a Telrad and upgraded the hand controller on my CG-5 mount, so both had to be tested.

Aligning the Telrad took a couple of minutes and works perfectly.

With the HC I aligned the scope with the two star alignment, I also added two calibration stars and it was time to test the upgrade. I selected M57, and with my 6.7mm eyepiece in, giving a magnification of 351X, M57 was just off to the left in the field of view, no doubt due to my imperfect centering in the eyepiece. As a further test I went off, made a cup of tea and had a chat with the wife, well, you have to. ;) I came back out twenty minutes later and the M57 had shifted only slightly in the field of view. Dialing in a number of objects including double stars with the 6.7mm I found that they all appeared in the eyepiece, just off to one side. I was impressed.

I hope to have a few quid soon, I was going to invest in a new mount, Celestron's Advanced VX or the EQ-6, possibly the Celestron C-GEM, if I save a little longer, now I'm not so sure, the CG-5 appears to be functioning fine. Perhaps I should use the money to improve the OTA, get a rack and pinion focuser perhaps, I'm not a fan of the focuser on the SCT, a few premium eyepieces and an illuminated reticle eyepiece for better aignment perhaps.

Three things I've learned tonight. The Telrad is a great piece of kit, the upgrade to the HC is a definite improvement, and if anyone with a CG-5 who has not upgraded should do so, and I need a bloody observatory. :p

Despite the c**p seeing, a good night.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #101824 by astroman145
Replied by astroman145 on topic Equipment Check
hi paul

i was out tonight myself it was,nt to bad it was the first clearish night in along time and i headed out the back for a quick look and to try and work out my cg5 mount as well.
i got a cg5gt mount secondhand of course and was trying my best to align it and after a few hair pulling and a few choice words i had to give in don,t know what i,m doing wrong but hopefully a few more clear nights and a bit of patience it,ll come to me .
i,m going up to sugarloaf on saturday if the skies are clear and hopefully i,ll get a bit of advice and bob,s your uncle .
clear skies val

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 6 months ago #101825 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Equipment Check
Hi Val

I hope to be there myself, exactly what was the problem you were having?

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
9 years 6 months ago #101826 by astroman145
hi paul
i set the tripod as per instructions north found polaris thru the polar finder then date time the usual and tried a two star alignment +two calibrate stars but when i thought it was aligned it was way off it must be something i,m missing or else the mount is off as i said i bought the mount which is about five years old before school holidays and hav,nt had much time or clear skies to practice with .val

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 6 months ago #101827 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Equipment Check
Is it really far off? If it is not too far off then it might be the time you entered, being summer time universal time is an hour behind local time so the mount believes that the star is an hour ahead.

Paul

Rich Cook

More
9 years 6 months ago #101829 by astroman145
you could be right its standard time then universal time after that i put in correct time and date ,i think,hopefully its something i,m not doing anyway i,ll pick a few brains on saturday night and sort the problem out .
clear skies for saturday paul chat to you then thanks val

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds