Solar filters

• donnellan.brendan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
11 years 11 months ago #93833 by donnellan.brendan
Solar filters was created by donnellan.brendan
Hi everyone id like some advice on how best to secure baader solar foil to my binoculars or where could i get two of those aluminium filter cells that orion use with the glass filters, and also does anyone have any thoughts on using shade 13 welding glass with 10x50 binos.

Thanks,

Brendan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #93953 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Solar filters
Get a Cornflake packet.

Cut 30/35mm strips using a ruler, pencil and sharp scissors.

Wrap a strip around the top of the barrel where the objective lens is with the plain side out and trim ends so there is an overlap of 20/25mm. Adjust and tape the ends together so the strip is tight around the barrel but not so tight it can't slip on and off. You don't want it so loose it falls off and you don't want it so tight you can't remove it.

Next, cut a strip of Baader Solar filter wide and long enough to overlap the barrel with at least 20mm to spare all around. Tape the filter lightly to the cardboard on one side then stretch the filter across the lens and tape the other side (like N & S). Don't stretch too tight and don't completely overlap the cardboard as you need to tape the filter to it. You'll need to trim the filter at times during this part. You won't see creases in the view so don't worry about any. Now repeat for the other sides (like E & W) then tape all around securely.

Now, you need to cut another 30/35mm cardboard strip from your Cornflake packet, glue the shiny side and wrap it around the first cardboard strip which has filter taped to it. This protects the filter edges and looks better too. Leave the strips on the barrell until dry as it keeps them perfectly round. Repeat for the other barrel.

If you live in South-east Dublin or within easy travelling distance, I can show you mine and how to make them in person or if I get time tomorrow, I'll take photos of mine and post.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by gnason.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93955 by gnason
oh..forgot.

Never ever use welder's glass with binoculars or telescope or any optical equipment at all. 14 is ok for visual naked eye use only.

More
11 years 10 months ago #94059 by katata
Replied by katata on topic Re: Solar filters
So baader solar film is safe on binoculars for the transit?

More
11 years 10 months ago #94063 by gnason
Yes, absolutely safe. It's what I use with my binoculars. Although Baader solar film is quite tough, I always hold the filter up to the Sun and check with my naked eye for any damage before slipping over the binoculars.

The link you gave says sold out but it's available from virtually all astronomy outlets so check around. Astronomy Ireland should have some.
The following user(s) said Thank You: katata

More
11 years 10 months ago #94072 by RayBirds
Replied by RayBirds on topic Re: Solar filters
Hello everyone.

My first post here, very nice to meet you all :)

I'm very new to Astronomy, only recently bought my first pair of binoculars.

So much to learn but what a time to get interested in the hobby, I would love to see the upcoming transit.

Can anyone recommend an online shop that sells the solar paper? I won't be able to make it up to the Astronomy Ireland shop in person before the big day but would dearly love to see this event.

Thanks for any advice,

Ray

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds