how good are dobs

• astroman145
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
11 years 5 months ago #95514 by astroman145
how good are dobs was created by astroman145
i,m ready to take the plunge and buy a dob before i do i would like some advice and tips to help me(1)size make and price of dob (2)upkeep and storage and transport of dob.thanks for all advice in advance as i know i will get good advice from everyone here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #95516 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: how good are dobs
What is your budget and do you plan to transport it to a dark site?
Dobs are great scopes and brilliant value for money. Skywatcher, GSO, Meade are all good.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #95517 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: how good are dobs
Size matters....But saying that, I find my 10" Celestron to be a good all rounder. Also good from the point of view that the tube can fit across the back seat of my car.
With a Dob, you will have to check collimation if you move it often, but with my solid tube Celestron - it rarely needs much collimation if any, particularly if im moving it to the back garden only. My scope is stored in the kitchen / diner, as far away from the cooking area as possible to reduce risk of dust and grime. Most dobs of this kind come with a front cover (giant lens cap) which should always be on when stored - it is also useful to keep your scope tilted away from the vertical if possible to reduce the amount of dust that can fall onto the mirror.

Avoid storing your dob in a shed or garage, that might be damp - because it will degrade the mirror in the long run.
My own Celestron dob came with a small battary operated fan behind the primary mirror to cool the mirror down (if for example the inside temperature in your house is 20C and the outside temperature is 3C - the fan can be switched on for a few minutes to force out warm air currents from the tube and improve the quality of your observing - if it does not have a fan attached I suppose you would have to leave it outside for 20 30 - minutes to reach ambient temperatue.

Be gentle with your scope...I treat mine like a nuclear device when I move it (About to explode at any time) :laugh:

As for make, I am no expert but quality always costs, saying that most telescopes on the market are made in the far east - or at least the optics are and are of decent quality

hope some of that helps :gramps:

Declan
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by dmolloy.

More
11 years 5 months ago #95518 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: how good are dobs
how good are dobs ??

very !
get as big a one as you can carry and afford.
although I have to say I am a little biased :blush: :blush:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
11 years 5 months ago #95519 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: how good are dobs
OK ok ok :lol: ya have a 20" don't rub it in :laugh:

I agree, the bigger the better. My own 16" dob gets more use than the 10" but given the aul weather - the 10" is easier to walk out the door into the garden. although I have been thinking about an obseratory....mind you.....just thinking about it

There are not a lot of options when it comes to domes and the like for dobs, unless the door / hatch opens to the ground :unsure: ....everything is possible I suppose if one had sponduliks....then of course the structure would have to have some sort of atmosphere control to protect the mirrors :ermm:

But if buying your first Dob and yer still fairly new to astronomy - a 10" aint bad for transport etc. Even our club 12" we need special automotive Oragami Skills to load and unload the gosh darn thing

More
11 years 5 months ago #95521 by manic_dave
Replied by manic_dave on topic Re: how good are dobs
Even our club 12" we need special automotive Oragami Skills to load and unload the gosh darn thing

tell me about it !

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds