Home video of 'Challenger' disaster surfaces after 24 years

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 years 1 month ago #83705 by Seanie_Morris
www.cnn.com/video/?/video/tech/2010/02/0...enger.home.video.cnn

This is home video footage taken from the front yard of a man's house in 1986 showing the Challenger disaster he caught with a BetaMAX video camera. He died not long ago, but just a month before that happened, he resurfaced the video.

Take a look,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #83709 by Paul Evans
I saw that on YouTube the other day - a fascinating insight into the time - a portable camcorder was a pretty new invention in 1986. More to the point I remember exactly what I was doing that day - I had been up to London to put a deposit on my first flat and was listening to Steve Wright in the Afternoon on Radio 1 who had mentioned the shuttle mission, and as I returned home as I walked in the door my mum told me the "The Space Shuttle has exploded". I still have the "Newsnight" Special on a piece of videotape somewhere. Half my life ago and it seems like yesterday - some memories never fade.

Paul.

More
14 years 1 month ago #83713 by dave_lillis
A unique view of the accident, I'm surprised the guy didnt cop straight away that something major had happened.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
14 years 1 month ago #83714 by Seanie_Morris
Dave_Lillis wrote:

A unique view of the accident, I'm surprised the guy didnt cop straight away that something major had happened.

He did, but not STRAIGHT away. If you have volume, you can hear a female voice saying that "inside they're saying something bad happened", probably on the live news channel.

I remember sitting on the floor in my living room, in Canada, watching the launch live on television. My mother called me into the room just as it was about to launch. I didn't really understand at the instance the explosion happened that it was something catastrophic, as I was only 7, but I was aware that something bad happened. "Obviously a major malfunction" were those immortal words on the news broadcast...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds