K-Tec

Advice needed: which s/ware to control DSLR from laptop?

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago #103760 by Seanie_Morris
Hi,

I did have a nice copy of DSLR Focus many moons ago. Recently, when I went to get back to using the Canon 350D with the laptop and thought of upgrading it, there's a price to download it now. Also, upon investigation, I see there is more software today to use DSLR+laptop than there was those many moons ago.

What do folks here use, free or paid, to control image capture on the DSLR from the laptop?

Thanks,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #103762 by michael_murphy
Hi Seanie,

I use BackardEOS. It's not free but I think it's only 60 euro.
There is a free software package but I can't remember the name.

Michael.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by michael_murphy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris

More
8 years 11 months ago #103763 by Kinch
I use Sequence Generator Pro.

Although I use a CCD rather than a full DSLR, I can tell from their forum that lots of DSLR guys use the software. It is a very comprehensive software package that covers everything required for image capture. You will have to check out whether or not your particular model will work or not........best go to their web site (and after, onward to the Forum) for lots of info.

The full package is very reasonable - and you can download a free version to check out if it does what you want.

Link: www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Products/SGPro

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago #103783 by Seanie_Morris
I heard of Backyard EOS and tried a free (triaL) version, but (though I can't remember what it was right now) there was something that I didn't like about it. Maybe the paid version would be different.

Brendan,
Never heard of Sequence Generator Pro, but I will take your advise and look that one up too.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #103786 by Kinch
For anyone looking for image capture software - SGP is one great package.
Luckily I got to know of it just as I was starting out - it has not been around all that long. But it has developed over the past couple of years and has won over a lot of new fans and I have developed my skills using it as it has grown. (The developers are very active on the forum - answering questions and taking suggestions on board).
I have got to the stage now that I can start a night's imaging and just leave the scope unattended (though in reality I still look in from time to time). I have managed to get plate solving sorted - without my intervention my scope 'knows' how to centre on any spot (whether I give it coordinates or another image that I want to copy......very handy for imaging on several nights and you want all your subs to have the 'exact same' FoV). The scope of course needs good polar alignment as always but I do not have to align on any stars - plate solving tells the scope exactly where it is pointing. When it reaches the meridian - the scope will flip guided by this software and resume on the other side without any input from me at the time of flip. It works in tandem with PHD2 guiding software (another excellent programme) - stopping and starting the guiding at the time of the pier flip. (PHD2 will 'know' the scope has flipped and compensate accordingly). If needed, it can stop any particular capture sequence and move to the next target that you have fed in. PHD2 will even allow for the change in Declination and as such your guide calibration remains good. Once you set things up - it is all totally hands free - no user input required during the night. At the end - it will park the scope - and if you have one, even close the dome or observatory roof.
Can't recommend this combination enough for anyone wanting to control your astro image capturing. I have mentioned above the mount (and obs.) control. It also controls the camera (obviously) and the filter wheel (if used) along with the focuser (again if you have a PC controllable set-up)......along with a couple of other things.
.............................wish I was getting money for this plug!
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Kinch.

More
8 years 11 months ago #103904 by albertw

Seanie_Morris wrote: I heard of Backyard EOS and tried a free (triaL) version, but (though I can't remember what it was right now) there was something that I didn't like about it. Maybe the paid version would be different.

+1 for BYEOS, well worth the money. The only issue with the 350D is that you won't have live video and there may be some connection issues due to canon not supporting it on newer versions of windows. The best solution to those problems is to buy a new camera; a second hand body only of a more recent canon will set you back about €150. That's what I ended up doing.

The only other imaging software I've used with the DLSR is the camera add on for TheSkyX pro. Great for CCD, but BYEOS beats it for DSLR work.

For guiding PHD2 as someone else said is the way to go. Assuming you have a guide camera etc. BYEOS will talk to that to dither your images, and most planetarium software will also to give you 'click to slew' capability, field of view indicators etc.

For processing look at Deep Sky Stacker. And something like Photoshop CS2 is fine for processing.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds