• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #12505 by Bill_H
Crazy query of the week! was created by Bill_H
Hi all,
I'm aware of the various lists of DSO's such as Messier, Caldwell etc. but I sometimes find them painstaking to search through. are there any other lists that for example list planetary nebula with another list for diffuse nebula, a list for galaxies, reflection nebula etc etc?
this would solve numerous problems for me. Example; If I wanted to go out tonight - well I wouldn't really in that rain - with the main purpose of viewing planetary nebula, my knowledge isn't that good that I could decide to go and view Mxx or Cxxx etc. I find myself ploughing through the lists of M, C and NGC numbers to find what I want, result, lost viewing time as this can be extremely time consuming. I personally would also find it easier to learn the objects name and match it to a number this way as I'm not ploughing through list after list of names/numbers to find what I want and thus confusing myself.
Maybe I'm just being lazy, but I really do have a tight work schedule, especially at this time of the year, and I would like to be able to finish work at 9.30 pm and concentrate on what I'm going to view that night.
I'm going to be a grandfather in August, but on top of that I'm going to be a father again in November and thats playing havoc with my 53-year-old brain without the confussion of those lists :roll: not that I'm complaining about being a grandfather or father, but I've been told to spend more time at the scope at night :lol: :lol:
Anyway, hope someone can lead me to that type of list and that I'm making sense.
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #12508 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Crazy query of the week!
I think www.seds.org/messier/ is something like what you want. Messier catalogued nearly everything bright and interesting so it should have enough to keep you busy. When you outgrow that, you are down to looking at starcharts and picking out galaxies on them. The astronomical databases of galaxies are useless for this.

Anyway try www.seds.org/messier/objects.html , it may be like what you are looking for. Its also a fairly dialup friendly website.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 9 months ago #12509 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Crazy query of the week!
Hmmm... apparently there are other catalogues that people have put together. For example www.oarval.org/Cat.htm#Catalogs

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 9 months ago #12516 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Crazy query of the week!
Bill,
one thing I did from my teens when I got telescopes and started to use them was everytime I saw something in an astronomy magazine that I would have loved to see, I sometimes cut out that picture, labelled it with ts pictorial name Dumbell, Trifid etc etc) into a copy book, and THEN add the catalogue numbers to it. I found it better to look for something then, as I exactly knew what I wanted to try and look for. It can be boring trying to look for objects for which you only really have an IC, NGC, M, or C number for, but don't know what to actually 'look for'.

In today's world with the internet, easy copy paste, and SarOffice (or that other microsoft one), its easier to make such a list.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #12517 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Crazy query of the week!
Many thanks Albert, I will check those out tonight.
Bill.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #12519 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Crazy query of the week!
seanie, I'm doing something similar, making a list in a note book as I go, also how it looked for me when observing. Hopefully I can then collate all the info into a spreadsheet or simillar document. Still a slow process, but eventually will have a BNC list (Bill's New Catalogue) :lol:
Bill.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds