K-Tec

My first M-object

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 10 months ago #12800 by Macros42
My first M-object was created by Macros42
My Collins Gem Stars book describes the Ring Nebula as disappointing with amateur telescopes. Well, I'm not disappointed because I actually found it tonight. The first Messier that I found :)

No pics I'm afraid - I'm a beginner ;)

Took me an hour to find it but I think I've finally cracked this tracking down malarky :D What delayed me was seeing a double star in the viewfinder and then wondering where the hell "1 Lyr" was - should have been halfway between that double and Vega! Finally realised that I wasn't looking at 2 Lyr at all - but 1a and 2a. Once I copped that it was a piece of cake to find 2 Lyr and then move up (down) to Sulafat and Sheriak - and hey presto - there's this big grey blob staring at me :D

Yes, it's 3:15, I'm cold, a little drunk, and happy :)

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #12801 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: My first M-object
Well done Steve. Its no mean feat finding M57. At mag 9.5 its a little bugger to find visually.

Glad you're getting to grips with star-hopping. Only a hundred more M's to find... Then you can start on the NGC/IC's... :D

I'm just after packing up myself - to the dawn chorus. Bagged a few goodies tonight. I need to do some astrometry but I may have gotten a couple of the Uranean (?) moons, possibly Triton, and almost certainly Pluto (no teapot yet Bill). The dawn beat me to Mars but I bagged Jupiter, the moon and a couple of sunspots. Oh yes, and one 'M' object - 101 :D

Keep it up and keep us posted.

Cheers

Dave McD (sober but also tired and happy :D )

More
18 years 10 months ago #12805 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: My first M-object
Nice one Steve,
I find the ring nebula one of the more stunning objects in the sky, it looks like as does in the photos except for the colour.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 10 months ago #12806 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: My first M-object
I saw the ring nebula for the first time last night too..Kerry astronomy club had an observing session and I got to see it through an 8.75" dob...Should be on the list with saturn as a definite object for introducing people to the joys of astronomy

Cheers
Trevor

More
18 years 10 months ago #12807 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: My first M-object
I have yet to actually find the Ring Nebula myself, its that difficult! Of course, I have seen it with a goto, but on a manual sweep of the sky, I couldn't get it with either the 70mm refractor, or my 8" reflector... :( Probably the sky conditions were not the best on the night with the 8".

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 10 months ago #12819 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: My first M-object

I have yet to actually find the Ring Nebula myself, its that difficult! Of course, I have seen it with a goto, but on a manual sweep of the sky, I couldn't get it with either the 70mm refractor, or my 8" reflector... :( Probably the sky conditions were not the best on the night with the 8".

Seanie.

Well it did take me an hour and a lot of persistence. I was near giving up tbh. But I'm glad I stuck at it. According the Messier handbook you can see it in any skies. At 1:30 am last it was fairly high up in the sky as well so light pollution was minimised.

Next on the list is M13 :D

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds