Google to help build next large telescope

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 2 months ago #38649 by Seanie_Morris
Google to help build next large telescope was created by Seanie_Morris
This is something you don't read everyday, but with the kind of money you hear about Gogle holding in its coffers, and what Paul Wutsisface talked about at last years CSP, I guess it wasn't long...

Google has already planted its flag on Earth, the Moon and Mars. The universe could be next.

The Internet search company has struck a partnership with scientists building a huge sky-scanning telescope, with hopes of helping the public access digital footage of asteroids, supernovas and distant galaxies.

"Frankly, I could see the day when they would be our sort of window to the general public," said Donald Sweeney, manager of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope, or LSST, on Friday.

Officials also say Google's technical expertise and vast data processing capacity will be an invaluable help, even for a project that has access to some of the country's leading research institutions.

The 8.4-meter LSST is expected to begin surveying the sky in 2013, from a mountaintop in Chile. Its goal is to continuously scan space, taking a series of 15-second exposures that allow it to cover the sky every three nights.

Officials say the telescope will open "a movie-like window" on nearby asteroids and far-off exploding stars, and help explore the mysterious "dark energy" believed to fuel the universe's expansion.

Google's stature should also bring the project more attention, which could be crucial as the $350 million telescope competes for public and private money.

In that respect, LSST officials may have learned a lesson from projects that have captured broader public imagination, such as the Hubble Space Telescope, said W. Henry Lambright, professor of public administration at the Maxwell School at Syracuse University.

"If they want to finance this thing and keep it going and maintained, they've got to make this not just the astronomers' telescope, but the people's telescope," he said.

The project has attracted at least $25 million in private donations and a four-year, $12 million grant from the National Science Foundation. Some of the 20 project partners also have supplied money, including about $1 million each from a half-dozen universities, Sweeney said.

Google's involvement hasn't been completely defined yet, Sweeney said. But the company that already offers detailed online maps of the Earth, the Moon and Mars could help analyze massive amounts of data -- up to 30 terabytes a night -- generated by the telescope.

But Google's involvement raises questions about whether it sees the resulting space images as a cash cow, said Stephen Maran, spokesman for the American Astronomical Society. He said, "Maybe they'll be selling ads next to the Orion Nebula or something."

Officials said there is no clear revenue stream for Google in the project, and said the company also isn't putting up money to help build the telescope itself.

"There is no licensing, there is no quid pro quo here," Sweeney said. "There's no financial incentive to them or to us."

Google spokesman Jon Murchinson said, "I don't think we entered into this partnership ... with an eye on how do we monetize our participation."

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #38661 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Google to help build next large telescope

This is something you don't read everyday, but with the kind of money you hear about Gogle holding in its coffers, and what Paul Wutsisface talked about at last years CSP, I guess it wasn't long...

Roche. Thats Dr. Paul Roche to you :-)

Basically the Faulkes Telescope project is now funded by a multi millionare who worked for google.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 2 months ago #38706 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
This is already causing a stir in the scientific community, graet science to be learned, but the practice of looking for new novae, comets etc. must surely now be gone forever, and that I would argue is a sad loss, I think that the enjoyment of astronomy may be diluted quite a bit. Maybe we have it too good?

Keith..

More
17 years 2 months ago #38712 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Google to help build next large telescope
progress is progress, like the way of recent asteroid hunts, it makes amateurs less likely to hit the jackpot first.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 2 months ago #38766 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Google to help build next large telescope
You have a point Keith, and one I agree with totally. I can understand myself the need to find NEO's and such as soon as possible, but the thrill out of amateur comet seeking is dissapating. Astronomy is really about getting to know the space around us, and marvel at the wonders of distant worlds that are out there. This kind of telescopic observation (and the same with NEAT and LINEAR) kind of makes the amateur completey redundant - unless you're on the hot-switching-plates team, and even that can be automated!

:?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 2 months ago #38820 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Well, I still think that he (or she) who dares wins! I'm still nova hunting, and if one went off in an area of sky that I would be familiar with, then I'm willing to bet that I'd beat the buggers !! :P

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds