• Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 3 months ago #36542 by michaeloconnell
Interesting article on Astromart

www.astromart.com/news/news.asp?news_id=606

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 3 months ago #36543 by michaeloconnell
A further article on it here from Nature:

www.nature.com/nature/journal/v444/n7119/full/444534a.html

Regards,

More
17 years 3 months ago #36549 by ayiomamitis
Michael.

Your timing is somethign else ... I spent all morning at the National Archaeological Museum (Athens) and here is the proof: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Greek-Archae-Astr-Antikythera.htm ... enjoy.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 3 months ago #36558 by stepryan

Michael.

Your timing is somethign else ... I spent all morning at the National Archaeological Museum (Athens) and here is the proof: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Greek-Archae-Astr-Antikythera.htm ... enjoy.

great shots anthony. but that cannot be a computer there is no microsoft logo on it ;). it just goes to show how silly humans are as a species. each generation thinks they are the cleverest and the most modern but someone has probably come up with the idea before. it just goes to show you what could be lying at the bottom of the med awaiting to be discovered. if there was one of these devices maybe there are more of them.

More
17 years 3 months ago #36570 by dave_lillis
An amazing piece of engineering, how could something like it have been made and lost, there must have been more the one of them !

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 3 months ago #36575 by albertw

An amazing piece of engineering, how could something like it have been made and lost, there must have been more the one of them !

It was lost because it was on a ship that sunk!

The tech was lost pobably because the Romans then became the dominant power. A group much less scientifically progressive than the Greeks. They may have used these objects but never saw a reason to develop more small cog toys.

Another item that is much simpler but may have similarly profound implications for the evolution of technology is the Baghdad Battery. The object is basically a jar with a copper tube and an iron rod (ot the other way around, can't remember...). If you fill this up with vinegar, you get a battery that produces about 1V. One possible use is electroplating. Whether thats what the object actually is or not we cant say, but its just possible that it was a battery.

Make you wonder what other technology we've had to re-invent.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds