ISS + Iridium Flare -June 16th

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 10 months ago #100992 by flt158
ISS + Iridium Flare -June 16th was created by flt158
Hi all . I thought I would give notice that we have a dazzling Iridium Flare tonight Monday in the constellation of Cepheus. It will peak at -7.8 magnitude. Cepheus is just north of Cassiopeia. The flare occurs at 22.43.

A few minutes later the ISS goes south of Mars but north of Spica at 22.58. Its magnitude will be -1.8.
My scope is up at the ready looking at a few other things.

Clear skies to all.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #100993 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic ISS + Iridium Flare -June 16th
Hi Aubrey,

Thanks for the head's up. I caught the flare and the ISS.

Here's a photo of the ISS pass.
It's not terribly visible so I'll have to work on that.

Michael.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by michael_murphy.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 10 months ago #100994 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic ISS + Iridium Flare -June 16th
Yes, I got it too! At long last.

I observed Mars for a while. Then split Izar at 112X, 140X and 167X. Brilliant night thus far.

Then at 22.43 I turned around to the north western sky, and thought that the sky was way too bright. And then suddenly -bang! There it was -magnitude -7.8 -the brightest I have ever seen.

I then split Cor Caroli -and I see the ISS passing south of Mars. I put 40X on it, and I could make out 2 solar panels and the central module.

I then split a gorgeous double star 2 Canum -lovely orange and blue -split at 40X and 112X. I then star hopped to carbon star Y Canum. It must be the brightest carbon star in the sky at the moment. It looks good at 40X, 112X and 140X.

I finished off with Saturn. I could see 4 moons, Cassini Division and its charming milky coloured disc.

Did anyone else do any observing?

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

More
9 years 10 months ago #100997 by derek0207
Replied by derek0207 on topic ISS + Iridium Flare -June 16th
Hi Aubrey,
I also saw the flare and the ISS. Looked at Saturn for a while too. Could see the cassini division and some coloured banding on the disk. Although the seeing was very very bad. Some moments of steady air were rare. Also had a look at M13 and M92. When I was packing up about 00:45 there was a great view of notlucient clouds in the north.
Derek

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 10 months ago #101003 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic ISS + Iridium Flare -June 16th
Well done, Derek, on sighting the noctilucent clouds at that hour. You must have a low northern horizon -I don't.

I have just figured out which moons I was seeing last night. With my diagonals showing north up and my east right: Titan was at 10 o'clock position, Rhea at 9 o'clock, Tethys at 4 o'clock and Dione at 8 o'clock. I could see the bright equatorial zone on Saturn itself, and the northern part looked quite complex at 225X. I could see the C-ring -but only in the front of the planet.
That Iridium Flare really stole the show last night.
I am thinking of going out again tonight if skies are clear.

Aubrey.

More
9 years 10 months ago #101006 by derek0207
Replied by derek0207 on topic ISS + Iridium Flare -June 16th
Yes I was lucky with the north horizon. Normally I just see buildings (cork city) but last night it was the ballyhoura mountains to my north.. I wish I had a dslr to get a photo!

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds