Venus -Jupiter conjunction 18/08/14

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 8 months ago #101470 by flt158
Venus -Jupiter conjunction 18/08/14 was created by flt158
Hello all. Is there anyone interested in observing the Venus -Jupiter conjunction on Monday morning?

Yes, I know it is a very early morning start, and should only be considered by amateur astronomers who are on holidays or, at least, have Monday off. The weather forecast seems promising at present; but of course, warm clothes are advisable for this stunning event. Both planets are less than 30 minutes apart. The crescent Moon will be a good guide to the whereabouts of the 2 planets-it will be in Taurus. Venus and Jupiter are rising from the horizon at 4.30 am local time in Cancer.

Let me give the choice of 2 locations. The Martello Tower at Sandymount or the Sugarloaf Car Park in County Wicklow. If anyone chooses either one, I am available to join them with my 6.2" apochromatic refractor. I aim to load it up into the car on Sunday night.

The more the merrier for the spectacle. So please reply to this post as soon as possible. Thank you.

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #101471 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic Venus -Jupiter conjunction 18/08/14
I will be up and about at that time, leaving for work about 04:50, and have a nice Easterly view across the water, so will be having a go for some nice snaps!

Good luck everybody!

Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 8 months ago #101472 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Venus -Jupiter conjunction 18/08/14
Go for it, Paul! What a pity you are not down here in Leinster!

I do remember you from Cosmos in 2014.

I should also say that retired people with telescopes and binoculars could give this event a go and meet up with me.

Aubrey.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 7 months ago #101477 by flt158
Liam Smyth is keen on the Martello Tower Sandymount, as is Bob O'Brien. So it looks the location is settled. Anyone else is welcome to join us. Just reply to this post. The weather forecast is still very favourable for this great event.

I shall give further information tomorrow.

Aubrey.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 7 months ago #101487 by flt158
OK, folks. It is official, I shall be going down to the Martello Tower in Sandymount at 4am to see if I can witness the great conjunction. I hope to see Rupes Recta on the Moon as a white line rather than a black line very close to the terminator. The weather forecast seems reasonably favourable still at this point.

This is a tough conjunction -Venus and Jupiter are right down on the horizon at 4.30. We plan to stay until 6am - sunrise is at 6.10. My telescope is loaded up now in the car. I have also informed an Garda.

Aubrey.

More
9 years 7 months ago #101489 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic Venus -Jupiter conjunction 18/08/14
Sadly there was just too much cloud over Scotland for me to get a look this morning - will have a look for the wider pairing tomorrow as I'm on early shifts!

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds