Venus -Jupiter conjunction -Location?

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 9 months ago #104327 by flt158
Hello, Dublin observers.

Does anyone prefer a particular location to observe Tuesday's conjunction of Venus and Jupiter? Sandymount or Sugarloaf? Which car park will we use? Either one will do. I certainly do not mind which one. Please offer an opinion.
I have no idea what the weather will be -but if it is cloudy on Tuesday evening, we could try again on Wednesday.
Thank you.

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #104328 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Venus -Jupiter conjunction -Location?
Hi Aubrey

Will they be visible from Sandymount? I'm thinking of the houses across the road blocking the view. It would be great to show the event to the public, perhaps someone can suggest another public location with a better western horizon.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 9 months ago #104329 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Venus -Jupiter conjunction -Location?
Hi, Paul.

Yes, I would like to have in Sandymount too. People like Liam Smyth and Patricia could come and see it. Ken FInlay is very keen to observe it, and I will be seeing him tonight. So yes, I would be very agreeable to see it at the Martello Tower on Tuesday night. It is easy to observe from 9 pm onwards to say, 10.30 pm. "Joe Public" could enjoy the experience also.
What does anyone else think?

Aubrey.

More
8 years 9 months ago #104330 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Venus -Jupiter conjunction -Location?
Hi All,

They will be 16 degrees up at Sunset (around 10PM). That should be high enough to observe from Sandymount and it will still be bright so light pollution shouldn't be an issue.

The spot where we observed the transit of Venus (fun fitness near Lamb Doyles) could work as well. It has a good eastern horizon but I can't remember what the view to the west was. I;ll see if I can get out there today or tomorrow.

Michael.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 9 months ago #104331 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Venus -Jupiter conjunction -Location?
Welcome aboard, Michael. It is great to have your great words of wisdom once again.

Please do check out Lamb Doyles as soon as you can. Maybe even tonight. The skies are clearly as we speak.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 9 months ago #104332 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Venus -Jupiter conjunction -Location?
I went out to Fun Fitness near Lamb Doyles at about 5 and it has a clear western horizon so would be an ideal observing spot.

Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds