USNO booklet "Astronomical Phenomena for 20yy" now FREE

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 6 months ago #104953 by johnflannery
Hi all,

I just discovered this week that the US Naval Observatory's annual publication "Astronomical Phenomena" is now available free to download as a pdf. The 2015, 2016, and 2017 editions are now online. The booklet is a slimmed down version of the more comprehensive "Astronomical Almanac", the doyen of all you need to know (in tabular form) of what's happening in the sky each year.

Link is aa.usno.navy.mil/publications/docs/ap.php

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Mike, Kinch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #104955 by scfahy
Hi
Thanks for the Link. Contains a weath of information for Astronomers
regards
Stephen
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 6 months ago #104961 by johnflannery
Cheers Stephen!

I was doing some planning on the 2017 total solar eclipse in the US and stumbled across mention of the pdfs now being available. I used to purchase the Astronomical Almanac every year but it was getting very expensive. I now generate a lot of the tabular data through MICA, a software package (with book) published by Willmann-Bell in the US. MICA stands for Multi-year Interactive Computer Almanac.

Less rigorous tabular data can be created from the DOS-based FA (Floppy Almanac) which I believe is still downloadable and free or ICE (Interactive Computer Ephemeris) -- I'm not sure if the latter is free though. DosBox is a product to run DOS software under Windows 7 and it does the job brilliantly.

John

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #105034 by Seanie_Morris
Thanks for the tip John, nice find! I have stickied this topic to make it easier to find also.

I see from your prep work that you have also added it to the IFAS 2016 Calendar an one of the many links to aid observing. ;-)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds