K-Tec

Venus -Saturn Conjunction -9th January 2016

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 3 months ago #105310 by flt158
Okay everyone. We already about to have another planetary conjunction -and a very rare one it is!
Next Saturday morning the 9th January, the brightest planet of all Venus will be only barely north of the ringed planet Saturn before sunrise. The planets rise at 5.50 UT and will only be less than 10 arc minutes apart. Myself and Ken Finlay are planning to drive down to the Sugarloaf Car Park from 5.00 am. The main reason we have decided on this location is so that we might get some height advantage if there are clouds present. Of course, if there is fog we can forget about the whole thing.
People who desire to join us will be welcome to bring their optical equipment of any kind. I shall have my usual 6.2" apo. Folk from Dublin, Meath, Wicklow, Carlow, Louth and Wexford are most welcome to join us.

Please reply to his post if you have any inclination to come along. And do provide a time.

Let us play for clear skies!

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #105316 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Venus -Saturn Conjunction -9th January 2016
I can go for some of that, Aubrey, what time do you plan to be there?

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by lunartic_old.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 3 months ago #105319 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Venus -Saturn Conjunction -9th January 2016
It would be brilliant to have up there, Paul.

How about 5 am?

You know it takes time for me to set up the scope.

Can I ask if Scfahy might also come along?

Aubrey.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 3 months ago #105326 by flt158
The weather now seems a bit iffy, Paul. I will continue to check all weather forecasts up to tomorrow night. We just might have some clearance in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Are you still willing to give it a shot come what may? We have 4 people definitely coming at present (including me). 5 am seems to be the right time to meet up at the Sugarloaf Car Park.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 3 months ago #105331 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Venus -Saturn Conjunction -9th January 2016
Thinking of parking on the Sea Road in either Kilcoole or Newcastle and then crossing the railway line to the beach. There are some spots in those locations where tripods (and possibly scopes) could be set up on the pathway. It will give a good horizon aspect too. I may not be there until 7am on Saturday morning depending on whether I've to make a run to the Airport beforehand. I won't make it up to the Sugar Loaf unfortunately but best of luck and clear skies to all who will be there.

Many thanks for bringing the conjunction event to our attention Aubrey,

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 3 months ago #105332 by flt158
It is great to hear about your plans, John. What we might do is: if the skies are bad with us at the Sugarloaf, we will consider driving down to Kilcoole or Newcastle. I know where both towns are, but I don't know how to get to the coastline. I could phone you on Saturday morning (I have Bluetooth) so you might guide me down to your location. I will phone you tonight about it. As ever, we have to hope the good weather!

Aubrey.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds