• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
8 years 2 months ago #105473 by johnflannery
Nacreous cloud was created by johnflannery
Hi all,

People have reported seeing rainbow coloured clouds the last couple of mornings. These are nacreous cloud (a type of Polar Stratospheric Cloud) which occur about 20km altitude and are composed of ice crystals.

Michael O'Connell phoned me about them this morning and Ian Carruthers showed me some pictures that he had taken of the display yesterday morning. I spotted them from about 7:20am today and they were still being lit by the sun at 10:15am. Very pretty colours.

I took quite a few photos this morning but can't post them up because I loaned my laptop to a work colleague yesterday for the week!

Have a look out tomorrow morning from just after 7am.

John

More info at the following links:

www.atoptics.co.uk/highsky/nacr1.htm

www.atoptics.co.uk/highsky/psc1.htm

www.spaceweather.com/ has a link to a gallery of images from this week at spaceweathergallery.com/index.php?title=clouds
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #105474 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Nacreous cloud
I am up early on Wednesday morning so I will have a look, John.

Thanks for the heads up, John.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 2 months ago #105477 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Nacreous cloud
Hi folks, I managed to get some rough & ready shots of these beautiful clouds this morning B)

Keith
Attachments:

More
8 years 2 months ago #105484 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Nacreous cloud
On Monday morning, I got 4 phone calls between 7:30am and 8:20am from people who saw them and wanted to know what they were. However, I was clouded out when I looked and didn't see the furor at all. The, yesterday (Tuesday) morning, I saw what EVERYONE else was seeing and it dawned on me what Monday's sightings were about!

This is from Pallas, Blueball, about 5 miles south of Tullamore. It got a little more dramatic and silvery as the Sun crept up, and from here I could still see them (but quite faint) by 10:25am.

Midlands 103 was inundated with photos all morning from the public with sightings and photos, many people were both perplexed and mesmerised by the clouds.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Attachments:

More
8 years 2 months ago #105489 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Nacreous cloud
A temporary ozone hole has formed over Ireland and the UK, helping generate nacreous clouds.

www.spaceweather.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds