K-Tec

Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #105758 by Seanie_Morris
On Monday May 9th, astronomers and observers from ireland will be able to witness the rare phenomenon that is a Transit of Mercury. Mercury will cross the solar disc from left to right in the image show here at the times presented:

It is important to always stress the need for safety when viewing the Sun. Instant blindness and pain would result in any attempt to view the Sun through an optical instrument meant for magnification.

Play it safe! Solar Filters
Only use proper solar viewing equipment, such as a certified or proper solar viewing filter used in conjunction with a telescope or binoculars. These filters are always placed in front of the objective before any magnification takes place. Sunglasses or welders glasses DO NOT count as filters, as the heat readily passes through, and only diminishes the intensity of the light by a fraction.

A safe filter can be made for direct viewing using Baader filter foil, and would appear on a telescope in an example like this?

Solar Projection
Another option is to use solar projection. By using the telescope or one side of a pair of binoculars, you can project the image of the Sun onto a large sheet of white card, paper, or board. Here is an image of my setup I use:

Please Note: the dust cap is on the finderscope (and in some cases it is better to have it completely removed).

I will add more on this in the coming days - feel free to add more information/tips/photos yourself!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Seanie_Morris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, michael_murphy, lunartic_old, johnomahony, Mike, Kinch, RandomPillars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #105761 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
Here's an animation that might help.

www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/transit/2016-may-9

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

More
7 years 11 months ago #105776 by Fermidox
I've been looking at a catalogue of transits over Ireland (specifically Limerick) and it appears that tomorrow week's event is the most favourable Mercury transit for the next 300 years!

The total duration of 7hrs 30 mins, all above the horizon, is only approached by that of the year 2049 (6h 41m) and the year 2266 (6h 35m).

B)

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #105777 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
My conclusion exactly, this is the easiest and most complete one were going to have in our lifetime as seen from Ireland.
Looking forward to it.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
7 years 11 months ago #105787 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
The forecast looks promising.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
7 years 11 months ago #105792 by flt158
The further north the better the weather.

Aubrey.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds