K-Tec

Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips

• Seanie_Morris
  • Seanie_Morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 4 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #105758 by Seanie_Morris
Seanie_Morris created the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
On Monday May 9th, astronomers and observers from ireland will be able to witness the rare phenomenon that is a Transit of Mercury. Mercury will cross the solar disc from left to right in the image show here at the times presented:

It is important to always stress the need for safety when viewing the Sun. Instant blindness and pain would result in any attempt to view the Sun through an optical instrument meant for magnification.

Play it safe! Solar Filters
Only use proper solar viewing equipment, such as a certified or proper solar viewing filter used in conjunction with a telescope or binoculars. These filters are always placed in front of the objective before any magnification takes place. Sunglasses or welders glasses DO NOT count as filters, as the heat readily passes through, and only diminishes the intensity of the light by a fraction.

A safe filter can be made for direct viewing using Baader filter foil, and would appear on a telescope in an example like this?

Solar Projection
Another option is to use solar projection. By using the telescope or one side of a pair of binoculars, you can project the image of the Sun onto a large sheet of white card, paper, or board. Here is an image of my setup I use:

Please Note: the dust cap is on the finderscope (and in some cases it is better to have it completely removed).

I will add more on this in the coming days - feel free to add more information/tips/photos yourself!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Seanie_Morris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, michael_murphy, lunartic, johnomahony, Mike, Kinch, RandomPillars

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #105761 by lunartic
lunartic replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
Here's an animation that might help.

www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/transit/2016-may-9

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #105776 by Fermidox
Fermidox replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
I've been looking at a catalogue of transits over Ireland (specifically Limerick) and it appears that tomorrow week's event is the most favourable Mercury transit for the next 300 years!

The total duration of 7hrs 30 mins, all above the horizon, is only approached by that of the year 2049 (6h 41m) and the year 2266 (6h 35m).

B)

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #105777 by dave_lillis
dave_lillis replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
My conclusion exactly, this is the easiest and most complete one were going to have in our lifetime as seen from Ireland.
Looking forward to it.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
IFAS Rep. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by dave_lillis.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105787 by lunartic
The forecast looks promising.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105792 by flt158
flt158 replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
The further north the better the weather.

Aubrey.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105793 by Fermidox
Fermidox replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
I've abandoned cloudy Limerick and decamped to Dublin!

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105794 by flt158
Wise Man, Fermidox!

Clear skies to all.

Aubrey.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105795 by donalmcnamara
donalmcnamara replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
The Sunny South East is not Sunny yet :(

• Seanie_Morris
  • Seanie_Morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105796 by Seanie_Morris
Seanie_Morris replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
The Sun has crept out from hazy cloud a few times this morning so far. It's early yet though, but I am hoping to get 1st and 2nd contact with the 12" Dob. Fingers crossed.

Lots of public and media interest. I have a few radio interviews lined up today, and I have received some phone calls and texts from members of the public about how to view it. It is important to stress safety abotu this. I encourage anyone who has the ears of their local radio stations to perhaps send in a text or email about what NOT to do with the Sun today!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105798 by flt158
I have Mercury on the Sun. I first saw it @ 12.15 pm! It sure is tiny.

I am using image projection on my 158 mm apochromatic refractor.

I also see a double sunspot.

Clear skies to all.

Aubrey.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105799 by Graham
Graham replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
Seen it through the clouds! :D

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105800 by Graham
Graham replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
Closest I got from the beginning

Graham
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunartic

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #105801 by lunartic
All cloud here in south Dublin, the forecast is not promising.

Paul

Rich Cook

More
1 year 1 week ago #105802 by JohnONeill
JohnONeill replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
Hi,

On the other side of the pond, Mercury is a beautiful (jet black disc) sight along with a number of sunspot groups in the 70 mm Pronto at 44x. There was quite a lot of cloud earlier. Using my 106 mm refractor for DSLR shots.

Good luck with it in the Old Sod!

John & Sara

More
1 year 1 week ago #105803 by lunartic
Looking at the satellite images, large parts of the UK are truly favoured, hope we see some of those images.

Rich Cook

More
1 year 1 week ago #105804 by johnomahony
johnomahony replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
The sky cleared up at 1pm for an hour at lunchtime here in Ballina, Co Mayo. I managed to let about 20 people have a look at the event through my 90 Mak Cass scope from the car park. Will try again at 5pm. It was too windy to attach the DSLR but plenty of mobile phone shots taken.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
1 year 1 week ago #105805 by flt158
The sky became completely overcast from 2.15 pm onwards. We have rain now.

But Valerie and I are celebrating this very fine transit. It is Valerie's first; and my 2nd Mercury Transit.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, johnomahony

More
1 year 1 week ago #105807 by JohnONeill
JohnONeill replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
Hi,

I put one of my images of the Transit of Mercury on my website Variable Star Nights

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
1 year 1 week ago #105808 by lunartic
I only managed to get four separate views, the last being just before 6 this evening.

Paul

Rich Cook

More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #105809 by johnomahony
johnomahony replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
It cleared up again for about 45 minutes at 5pm so I set up in the car park at work. I was so lucky with the weather and timing. So glad I didn't take a day off work (lunchtime and leaving time were good. I managed a few snaps this time even though it was quite windy.
Three achievements today

1. Got to see the transit
2 Took pictures of the transit
3. Got to let about 25 people look through a telescope for the first time at work. Public outreach duties complete.

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/268841...n/dateposted-public/

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/268847...n/dateposted-public/

Last Edit: 1 year 1 week ago by johnomahony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Kinch, flt158, yohan

More
1 year 1 week ago #105810 by yohan
yohan replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
Didnt have the day off so had to try get something during my lunch break. Eventually got a 3mn window, I used a fixed tripod and Canon 1100D with Skywatcher ST80 (400mm) attached - not the easiest setup!

Anyway, here's my effort for today, stack of 6 shots taken from Louth at 2.40pm today

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic, johnomahony, Kinch, flt158

More
1 year 1 week ago #105812 by flt158
You probably did better than most, Paul. The weather in the south was only appalling

Aubrey.

lunartic wrote: I only managed to get four separate views, the last being just before 6 this evening.

Paul

• Neill
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2011
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2011
More
1 year 1 week ago #105813 by Neill
Neill replied the topic: Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
Viewing conditions up North were pretty good much of the day. Got a look at the transit after work, through my ETX70 - the build up to the event said Mercury would be tiny on the disc, but I was surprised how small it actually was. Managed to get a grainy pic of it with my camera phone through a 9mm eyepiece, tricky enough.

Linda: "All in all, this is one day Mittens the kitten won't soon forget."
Morbo: "Kittens give Morbo gas."

More
1 year 1 week ago #105822 by johnomahony
Finally back home with my PC to touch up my transit shots. Nothing worse than using an old laptop without a mouse to process images. B)
They are not that sharp due to the thick hazy cloud around but the B&W images bring out a bit more detail.

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/27002717115/

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds