• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
18 years 4 weeks ago #25671 by DeirdreKelleghan
GLOBE AT NIGHT International Event was created by DeirdreKelleghan
www.globe.gov/GaN/

I think this is really interesting so I am posting it.

What does it mean to REALLY watch the stars? When you look at the night sky, do you see an endless swath of glittering jewels set against a deep velvet black sky? Or do you see only a dozen or so pinpricks of light doggedly shining through the soft amber glow of streetlamps? And how could streetlamps make a difference in the way the sky looks?

Join thousands of other students, families, and educators by participating in GLOBE at Night – an international event designed to observe and record the visible stars as a means of measuring light pollution in a given location. Participation is open to anyone – anywhere in the world – who can get outside and look skyward during the week of March 22-29, 2006! There is no cost to participate in GLOBE at Night.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
www.irishastrosoc.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 weeks ago #25672 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: GLOBE AT NIGHT International Event

www.globe.gov/GaN/

I think this is really interesting so I am posting it.

What does it mean to REALLY watch the stars? When you look at the night sky, do you see an endless swath of glittering jewels set against a deep velvet black sky? Or do you see only a dozen or so pinpricks of light doggedly shining through the soft amber glow of streetlamps? And how could streetlamps make a difference in the way the sky looks?

Join thousands of other students, families, and educators by participating in GLOBE at Night – an international event designed to observe and record the visible stars as a means of measuring light pollution in a given location. Participation is open to anyone – anywhere in the world – who can get outside and look skyward during the week of March 22-29, 2006! There is no cost to participate in GLOBE at Night.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
www.irishastrosoc.org

good idea but viewing this on a monitor would ruin your dark adaption and therefore you would not be able to see as faint as you should i would think.
stephen.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 4 weeks ago #25673 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
I can only guess that it is really about going outside and looking at the sky and becoming aware of stars and the extent of light pollution.
A little encourgment for those people who never look up, and a little data for those who do.

Deirdre Kelleghan

"Good friends are like stars.........You don't always see them, but you know they are always there."

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds