Sketching Forum

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 10 months ago #29603 by DeirdreKelleghan
Sketching Forum was created by DeirdreKelleghan
I would like to see a sketching forum on the IFAS boards. I post my sketches on www.cloudynights.com and get some great feedback and some very useful sketching advice from it. I use the name Dee on that forum.

Sketching from the eyepiece to the page is so rewarding, and totaly focusing. I post some of my sketches on this forum and I think it may be encouraging to others if a sketching section was available.

What do you guys think? Do you think there is an interest out there?

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
www.irishastrosoc.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #29627 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Sketching Forum
Having seen your sketch work, and also co-awarding you with the first ever Novice Observing Challenge Certificate for your efforts (that HUGE Maccholz chart!), I am all for the promotion of a Sketch Work forum. I myself do a lot of sketches, almost weekly, simply because I don't have a suitable camera, to record my own observations.

But don't worry, I won't be flooding a new potential sketch forum with all of them! ;)

I think sketching is a good way to pay more attention to detail - it is self-explanetory really. You appreciate observing more, particularly of things like the Moon, sunspots, the planets (depending on instrument size), and even star clusters and nebulae.

I guess it could be called Observing Reports By Sketch in the Observing forum?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 10 months ago #29628 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Sketching Forum
sure, why not. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #75270 by cosmiclight
Replied by cosmiclight on topic Re:Sketching Forum
I agree with Dee wholeheartedly! Her recent lunar venus occultation sketch was in NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day.

Many of my pastel artworks have appeared in NASA's www.spaceweather.com and once in APOD.

I have trouble finding where to post sketch and artwork here. There is a large participation in the US site, Cloudy Nights Astronomy Forums >
www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist...at/0/Board/Sketching

Also, I just tried to upload and attach here, two of my recent large lunar sketches, but the site disqualifies them as the wrong format. Why such stringent restrictions? They are small memory jpegs of say 60 ~ 70 KB.

I'll look forward to advice from any of you,

Thanks,
Mark
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by cosmiclight.

More
15 years 3 months ago #75280 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:Sketching Forum
A sketching forum sound slike a great idea, I'm sure there are more people out there sketching and perhaps they would like to display their work.

One thing that should be mentioned that not everyone is as talented as Dee or Mark, check out his sketches on Cloudynights, wonderful. So, no matter how bad you think your sketch is, post it regardless as I'm sure the above mentioned would be only too happy to offer practical tips.

Besides it's a great feeling to see something you've created out there for the world to see.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
15 years 3 months ago #75285 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re:Sketching Forum
I'd be all for it.

On CloudyNights I post most of my sketches in the Deep Sky forum as observing reports, and use the Sketching forum to talk about materials, techniques, etc.

But I'm easy to please -- I'll follow whatever common practice becomes. ;)

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds