New forum; SETI, Astrobiology & Extraterrestrial life

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 11 months ago #67894 by John37309
New forum; SETI, Astrobiology & Extraterrestrial life

I would like to make a suggestion for the website administrators.

Because the subject of Astronomy, and does other life exists in the universe, are topics that are very closely linked, i suggest this topic be given a separate forum by itself so that users who enjoy this topic can expand the subject and discuss it in more depth.

I am personally quite interested in the SETI@home project but it would be very biased of me to suggest you have a forum dedicated to SETI@home. The topic of other life existing in the universe is much greater than just SETI@home.

This topic can be expanded into many areas like Astrobiology, Abiogenesis, SETI, SETI@home, Extraterrestrial life, Optical SETI and many other areas that are currently being investigated by different Universities and organisations.

Personally i tend to think of things from a purely scientific perspective so i pay very little attention to discussions about UFO's and stories about Alien's that have visited our planet. But i am also very tolerant of the subject as i tend not to judge others for having a different opinion or view to mine. If the administrators choose to include discussion about the existence of UFO's and Alien's, that would be your choice. I would not exclude this topic but i would not encourage it either.

So i would be suggesting that the forum be called something like "SETI, Astrobiology & Extraterrestrial life". But any variation of this would be welcome.

So people understand what the forum is about, an admin could post a "Sticky" message in the new forum called "SETI, Astrobiology & Extraterrestrial life - Forum Explained".

This might be a good suggested content for the sticky;
Message Start***************************************
Title; SETI, Astrobiology & Extraterrestrial life - Forum Explained
This forum is for the discussion of the following topics;

Astrobiology ; Astrobiology is the interdisciplinary study of life in the universe, combining aspects of astronomy, biology and geology.
Abiogenesis ; In the natural sciences, abiogenesis, the question of the origin of life, and the study of how life on Earth emerged from non-life.
SETI ; SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) is the collective name for a number of activities to detect intelligent extraterrestrial life.
SETI@home ; SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI).
Extraterrestrial life ; Extraterrestrial life is life originating outside of the Earth. It is the subject of astrobiology, and its existence remains hypothetical.
Extrasolar planets ; An extrasolar planet, or exoplanet, is a planet beyond the Solar System.

Some relevant websites;
SETI Institute
NASA Astrobiology - Life in the Universe
SETI at UC Berkeley, California.
SETI@home

When posting here, please try to keep discussions based on the topics mentioned.

Message end************************************************************

Any forum admin could click reply to this message and copy & paste the message sticky bit with all the relevant links to Wikipedia articles about the topics.

Please do post your thoughts about the topic of a new forum and if you feel its a good idea, you can make the necessary changes.

Thank you.
John.
www.paddysinspace.com
www.irelandboinc.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 11 months ago #68235 by John37309
Any thoughts about this topic anyone?

Maybe i posted this in the wrong area. Maybe i should have posted it in the suggestions area, I'm not sure!

Admin's, Astronomers, Armature Astronomers, Anyone any thoughts?

John.

More
15 years 11 months ago #68238 by JohnMurphy
John,

At present this is probably covered under the "Cosmology and Physics" section. I am not sure if it needs a unique forum all of its own as it forms such a small discussion arena.
SETI does after all come under the wing of Cosmology (loosely) as does Loop Quantum Gravity come under the wing of Physics. Maybe the best you could hope is that Physics and Cosmology are seperated into two seperate forums.
I don't think a SETI forum is likely though - just my 2c.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
15 years 11 months ago #68262 by Seanie_Morris
I think John has summed it up really. I remember we had strong suggestions to bring in a History of Astronomy forum by a user who is here no more unfortunately. We granted the request, and since then it has hardly been used!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 11 months ago #68316 by John37309
Sure, that's fine so! - It was just a thought. Its a popular topic in many forums.

Thanks guys,
John.

More
15 years 11 months ago #68347 by dave_lillis
Hi,
Maybe the "Space exploration and technology" forum would be suited for what you want, after all, SETI is a form of exploration.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds