K-Tec

Feedback on the new site

More
15 years 8 months ago #71910 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
Well done on the new site.

Don't know if these are bugs or no no's. I use IE7.
1. lots of stuff in my profile is no longer updatable e.g. signature.
2. Date of member since is way out - by a few years.
3. Keeps asking me for a valid username when trying to update my profile.

Sorry if all this has been mentioned before - I'm just back from holiday and too tired to read any more...........

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #71920 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
John,

your siganture and username issues are the same as mine before due to the nature of our usernmes havig a space in it. Darragh can update the signature for you, but he's on holiers now. We are looking for a fix for the username space predicament.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 8 months ago #71939 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
This is my first visit since the update (bad weather blues - spent time playing with my cameras). It's quite different and I like it except for one little thing - the fixed page width. It's mighty small on my widescreen.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
15 years 8 months ago #71940 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
Don't know if anyone else is having this problem but when I went into the private messages section, all the messages in both inbox & outbox were duplicated. I manually deleted all the copies but when I went back in later, they were all duplicated again.
Any ideas on why this is happening and is it the same for other users?

Ta,
Bernie

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #71941 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
I'm viewing this on a 19in Monitor at 1280x1024. I would assume this would be an average display and resolution. I also have a 24in 1920x1080 dell and the site is tiny in it like jhoare says, but even on the 19in at 1280x1024 there is about 3inches wasted space either side. Does the site really need to cater for those few with 14in monitors at 800x600??

Iceinspace has similar formatting with the layout of the frames, ie, banner across the top and menu at the side but its obviously been designed with 1280x1024 in mind because it fills my screen.

As the layout stands at the moment its not a major annoyance when posting text as it just means more scrolling in the vertical. However I recently posted some 640x480 images which are not large image sizes by any means and fit within a post on any other forum I have ever frequented in the last 7 or 8 years without introducing horizontal scrollbars. In the current size forum frame they necessitate scrollbars which means having to use the scrollbar to view the full text on all posts in any tread containing 640x480 image sizes and above.

So my question is, do we really need to cater for 14in 800x600 monitor owners?? I would not expect the site to be maximised for 22-24in widescreen owners but I would have thought that 17-20in 1280x1024 was pretty much the average/standard resolution these days and the site should be designed around that res.

If it stays as it is, I think the admins may have to introduce a new size rule for image posting. ie. only thumbnails linking to the full size image opening in another window.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by Calibos.

More
15 years 8 months ago #71946 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
You kind of need to cater for as many people as possible. For example, I am on a 15.4 inch screen laptop 5 days a week, and on this screen, I have less than an inch of space either side of the main table-top-down format.

We're thinking about creating a second overall template for forum use to maximise screen depth like we were used to in the old boards fashion. It will just take a little time from our work schedules to come up with it.

Again, it is only from feedback that we know what quirks exist, so thanks for posting back guys.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds