The IFAS Observing Challenges programme

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 8 months ago #4404 by spculleton
The IFAS Observing Challenges programme was created by spculleton
Announcing the launch of the long anticipated observing certificates scheme; The IFAS Observing Challenges Programme.

The Observing Challenges Programme is intended to encourage and reward systematic and disciplined observation, while reinforcing the fact that astronomy should be fun and enjoyable. Members of IFAS clubs and societies simply need to get hold of one of the Observing Handbooks which contain all of the required information to complete the challenge. Once a person has completed the requirements they can apply for an IFAS certificate to recognise their efforts and success. It is important to remember however that the certificate is not the real benefit to completing this challenge. Learning more about the sky and the wonders we can see there is the ultimate benefit. The IFAS Observing Challenges Programme will be officially launched at this year's Whirlpool Star Party where people can get hold of the materials needed to complete the challenges as well as discuss the programme.

The Observing Handbooks are all large and lavish. They contain a huge amount of facts, information and details as well as information on how to complete that particular challenge. The handbooks will be available as a download (hopefully) from this site after the official launch at this year's Whirlpool Star Party. You may also buy hardcopies for 5 euro or less or all three handbooks on cd. These charges will be made simply to cover printing, copying and binding costs. No profit is or will be made. Downloads, of course, are free. Three handbooks will be available at WSP. They are;

1) The Novice Observing Challenge.

Compiled by Seanie Morris this handbook provides the perfect introduction to the hobby and science of astronomy. Everything that a beginner, or nearly-new, astronomer needs to know is covered here with explanations and advice as well as practical observing projects. Once the person attempting this challenge has completed the exercises they can apply to Seanie for the IFAS Novice Observer Certificate.

2) The Binocular Observing Challenge.

Subtitled "110 extraordinary objects to see through ordinary binoculars" this handbook, which was compiled by John Flannery, serves as an excellent incentive to dust off the binoculars and see what you can really see through them. John's handbook has diagrams and charts to help find the objects as well as detailed descriptions to help appreciate what you are seeing. The certificate for this challenge is available in Gold, Silver and Bronze levels depending on how many objects you have logged.

3) The Messier Objects Observing Challenge.

Mick O'Connell has put together a lavish observing guide to the next level of observing. This book gives detailed background information on Charles Messier, his catalogue of objects, and the deep-sky as well as star-charts and guides to help navigate your way through the most famous list of deep-sky splendours. The certificate for this challenge is available in Gold, Silver and Bronze levels depending on how many objects you have logged.

Other handbooks will become available over the course of the year. it is intended to launch the Annual Competition Observing Challenge at the next Galway Star party. This competition will reward people who make a series of observations (observe 4 meteor showers for example) over the course of the year. Then at COSMOS 2005 three more handbooks will be launched. Upcoming titles include the Lunar Observing Challenge, the Solar System Observing Challenge, and the Naked-Eye Observing Challenge. It is hoped that all observing tastes and interests will be catered for over the course of the next few years.

The Observing Challenges Working Group would like to thank the IFAS chair and committee for supporting and encouraging us in this initiative. We would also like to thank the organisers of WSP for accomodating us for the Official Launch.

On behalf of the Observing Challenges Working Group.

Shane Culleton, IAS, SDAS.
John Flannery, IAS, SDAS.
Seanie Morris, TAS.
Ronan Newman, GAC.
Michael O'Connell, SAC, TAS.
Albert White, IAS, SDAS, ILPAC.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #4431 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: The IFAS Observing Challenges programme
Hi all,

I for one, would like to thank the Observing Challenges Working Group for the time and effort they have put into the challenges. I have seen the “bino teaser” in the files section and it looks great!

I am a novice stargazer (I won't say amateur astronomer, as I don't think I qualify yet!) and have been looking up at stars for as long as I can remember, enjoying their beauty, but without really knowing anything about what I was seeing. Just before Christmas last year, I decided to do something about this. I bought a pair of 10x50 binos, Collins Gem “Stars” book and have never looked back. However, my stargazing tends to be very erratic. I generally just go out and sweep the skys with my binos and when I think I’ve found something, I look it up to see what it is. What I’ve always really needed (and wanted) was a little structure and planning, and now I can have it! These challenges seem to be just the ticket! Maybe it won’t be long before I can call myself an amateur astronomer!

Anyway, thanks again and keep up the good work!

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
19 years 8 months ago #4472 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: The IFAS Observing Challenges programme
Many thanks for the encouragement Leo,

it is hoped that the programme will be a success. Soon, samples of all the available handbooks will be in the files section for all to view.

Also, any kind of feedback will be greatly appreciated (good and bad), and taken on board. At the moment, the plan is a full launch at Whirpool of the first 3 books, with hopes of it encompassing a whole area of Astronomy totally uncovered in Ireland.

The wait is almost over!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 7 months ago #4748 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: The IFAS Observing Challenges programme
A profound thank you to everyone who supported the Observing Challenges Programme at it's launch in Birr over the weekend. All of us involved with this initiative were overwhelmed by the response. We brought along 20 copies of the Messier and Novice handbooks and 25 copies of the Binocular handbook. They all sold out by Saturday evening. The CDs containing the books on pdf along with astro-freeware and the Arcturus back catalogue also proved popular. We sold every one of those CDs, mostly just after they were produced.

Thanks to everyone who supported us, and special mentions must be given to SAC and the organisers of WSP for giving us such a good location for our stand and allowing us a few minutes with the mic. Bart also deserves credit for putting the Ob Ch section up on this site and for all his help and advice behind the scenes. John, Mick, and Seanie deserve the real credit though for producing three books that could compare to any commercially produced books. Well done to those selfless astonomers!

I'll be doing up the accounts over the next couple of days, but after expenses of EURO 131 we have EURO 67 left over. This money will go towards the costs of certificates, postage (if applicable) and getting the next set ready for Connacht.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 7 months ago #4751 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: The IFAS Observing Challenges programme
I was simply amazed at the level of interest shown in the handbooks. Last week I was genuinely concerned about the uptake on the whole project. Thankfully, I was proved wrong.
I think Shane has been a little modest with regard to his role in all this. Not only did he co-ordinate the whole project, produce a good chunk of the actual text for the handbooks and advertise them on national radio but he also printed a load of the handbooks, manned the IFAS table at Birr all weekend and gave one hell of a sales talk when presented with the chance. I think he should definetly consider a career as a salesman! :wink:
Michael

More
19 years 7 months ago #4758 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: The IFAS Observing Challenges programme
May I say well done to all the lads involved with the Observing Challenge Program.
You certainly went above and beyond the call of duty, and selling the programs at cost considering the astounding amount of work put into them only goes to show the dedication and real commitment to the cause.

I think you could have printed double the number of issues and you still would have sold them all.

Again, well done lads, its something you should all be very proud of.
I also think it shows what the spirit of the IFAS is all about.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds