• Krusty
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 2 months ago #62930 by Krusty
Did anyone else see...... was created by Krusty
Hi Folks,
Lastnight around 7 o'clock I was driving home, heading west, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a bright light with a 'trail' coming out of it. It looked for all the world like an aircraft with a contrail coming out the back of it.

The sun was long gone and it was pitch dark, so I was thinking *maybe* it was a really high-flying jet and contrail that was catching the sun from over the horizon.

I arrived home around a minute or two later and hopped out of the car to get a good look at this thing. I am 100% sure it was not an aircraft. I rang my brother and asked him to go outside and told him where to look. He could also see it, but was unable to see the trail as he lives in town and I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

The trail coming out of this thing was really odd. If you looked at the light directly, you couldn't really see the trail. But looking just to the side of it you could see it clearly, reflecting the moonlight or whatever. I'm not sure if the shape of the trail had changed from when I saw it in the car as I was focused on the road obviously, but when watching it from the driveway it looked cresent-shaped, with the point of light at the left tip of the cresent. It was belting along at a similar speed to when the ISS passes over us.

The light originated pretty much due west, and it eventually faded out down towards the southern horizon, all the while trailing this whispy white cresent, which got dimmer and dimmer as it progressed south.
It was definitely something in orbit... either someone flushed the jacks on the ISS, or some major venting going on. Either way, trippy as hell to see it :lol:
Below is a rough sketch with my elite MS Paint skills..
If anyone else saw this or knows what it was can you please let me know.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krusty
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 2 months ago #62937 by Krusty
Replied by Krusty on topic Re: Did anyone else see......
Just came across this image of the orbit of USA 193 (the spy satellite that's going to re-enter in the next few weeks) and I'm thinking it *may* have been it...

Any opinions ?

• Krusty
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 2 months ago #62947 by Krusty
Ok, my monologue continues :)
Think I've figured it out....
I've been trawling the web all morning trying to find out what it was I saw, and then I came across this recreation on www.satobs.org/h2o_dump.html

Heres an actual shot of a 'dump'

Pretty identical to what I saw.
sweet.

More
16 years 2 months ago #62949 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Did anyone else see......
Hi Krusty,

It certainly does sound like you saw venting of particulate/gaseous material of some sort (a "dump" would make most of us recoil with horror! :lol: Not sure if you ever saw the YouTube clip before of a Canadian Space Agency astronaut talking about what some "meteors" might be :lol: )

I had a look at Heavens-Above.com and the ISS certainly passed over the Shannon/Ennis area at 19:14 last night heading in the direction you saw your object move in.

Pretty cool getting to see that unexpectedly!

John

• Krusty
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 2 months ago #62951 by Krusty
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. Can't say I have seen that YouTube clip, but I get where you're coming from :)

I tried heavens-above.com but couldn't manage to get it to show anything 'historical'... only from today onwards :(

Thanks for the info though. I can put this one to bed.
A lucky sight indeed !

I'll be ready for the shuttle and ISS this evening though. Doubt there'll be any more 'venting' though :lol:

Cheers!

More
16 years 2 months ago #62955 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Did anyone else see......
We get to see the pass twice tonight. 6:02pm and 7:36pm

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds