Gangster Ireland!!!

• James Butler
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 3 months ago #12636 by James Butler
Gangster Ireland!!! was created by James Butler
I can see why this site is registered under www.irishastronomy.org and not www.irishastronomy.ie

I tried to regsiter an .ie domain and was asked to cough up 99 yoyos for just one year. No way! Which one of our corrupt TDs is getting a skim off of that?

Instead I'm going for the trusted .com with the word Kerry in the title. Does the job and just 30 yoyos for two years.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• James Butler
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 3 months ago #12639 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Gangster Ireland!!!
Just read this on www.domainregistry.ie/ and frankly I think it is a load of rubbish. COM has a lot more kudos than IE and whoever made up this nonsense is perpetuating Ireland remaining in the basement of world IT.

4. Why is it cheaper to get a .com domain name compared to a .ie domain?

4. You're not comparing like with like! .com is a high volume, free-for-all, universally recognised, automated, budget priced "Internet address" and, like any other TLD, it functions adequately. Like many other ccTLDs, .ie is a managed, upper end of the market, national "Internet address" which, due to necessary human intervention to ensure checks and balances, comes at a higher cost - but due to its exclusivity it also conveys commercial credibility and respectability. It also underlines to your prospective customers and clients that you are transacting business in Ireland. At the end of the day it's a business decision - do you want to project your business as a credible, respectable Irish business doing business in Ireland essentially for Irish consumers, or would you be happy to convey your Internet presence as merely a "bargain basement" organisation operating out of somewhere undefined on the planet? The world may be a global village electronically but consumers still like to instinctively know where you're based.

James Butler

More
19 years 3 months ago #12642 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Gangster Ireland!!!
Aha, we have stumvbeld on one of my pet hates!!!

Firstly, it SHOULD be the case that all Irish people get .ie domains and are proud to do so, however, the IEDR have made that impossible by making it a) expensive and b) difficult to get.

Now, what I find very annoying is that people do not understand the domain name system. .com has a meaning and it is highly inapropriate for an astronomy club!

The main ones are as follows:
.com - COMERCIAL - i.e. you sell stuff (might work for another club sho's name I shall not mention :wink: )
.org - Organization - it'sa place for clubs and societies ot make their home on the net, hence the URL for this place! Also, note that .org is the same price as .com
.gov - American Governement
.edu - American Accademic
.net - Miscelaneous, what ever you want

There have also been some more recent additions:
.biz - same as .com really but brought in because the .coms are mostly taken
.info - for informational sites, we could have gone for that too but I find .org a little more appropriate and a lot better sounding
.name - for names! If I wanted my own domain I would register bartbusschots.name or some such

There are of course also the other national ones like:
.be - Belgium
.nl - The Netherlands
.au - Australia

Some couintries have even gone so far as to split up their domain into sub-domans. The UK is a prime example:
.co.uk - UK commercial
.org.uk - UK organisations
.gov.uk - UK government
.ac.uk - The UK 'Academic Community'

Anyhow, it always annpoys me to see people register .com addresses for non-comercial ventures. I fully admin that I am probably in a minority but hey, we all have our little pet hates!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• James Butler
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 3 months ago #12660 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Gangster Ireland!!!
I agree.

The .com site I just registered was for a commerical venture of mine.

My personal site is .name

A recently completed site, for a non-profit making customer, was .org

I can't see myself using .ie unless the price was dropped to the level of a co.uk site.

James Butler

More
19 years 3 months ago #12667 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Gangster Ireland!!!
I agree as well. I wanted .ie but not at those horrific prices. I had to take .com. For my other business address I had to take .org, which isn't really suitable, but all the others had already gone, and I couldn't really change my business name! the frustrating thing there was it seemed to me they were just car-parking on them as they aren't actually in use. My other business, although it will contain lots of information, advice etc, is actually a business and not an organisation. The trouble with plain old .com is, you can often sit and plough through thouands of .coms before you find a local/ish one because over the years .com was the US favourite. I can remember in the mid 90's actually ignoring .coms because they always turned out that way (I know it's not quite the same now). Why can't we have reasonable addresses like .com.ie, .co.ie, .org.ie, .info.ie etc, etc. That we can get the addresses that are more suitable for our use.
Who ever wrote that bull up above either has his head in the clouds or up his bum :evil:
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12668 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Gangster Ireland!!!
These days I purchase .com addresses for E8.00 !!!

.ie -10 times the price for what? I may be the only person entitled to my .ie address, but surely the verification process can be automated like everything else? Just a monopoly making a killing IMHO.

Dave P

IFAS web team

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds