K-Tec

Beginner !!

More
18 years 10 months ago #17605 by noddy
Beginner !! was created by noddy
:) Hello all, being an beginner in astronomy, have recently moved to the country, and have now taken an interest in same. Started with a 4x50 Rifle scope, and now have moved up to an Atlas Explorer with an EQ3-2 mount. Only really have looked at the moon so far, but cannot find a site to tell me where to find any more planets or galaxies. Sorry for being so ignorant but havn't really looked at the stars since i was in Boy scouts years ago ! Any help would be much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17606 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Beginner !!
Hi Noddy and welcome aboard.
If you look to the east, you'll notice a big bright red/orange star, its the brightest thing in the sky around midnight, its the planet Mars.

To the left of it, you'll see a small cluster of stars, its called the Pleiades cluster and it is a great sight in binoculars and telescopes.
Further to the left and lower, you'll see another bright red star, its called Aldebaran, you might notice a sparse collection of stars around that, they're called the hyades cluster and are best seen in a view finder or binoculars.

This is only a quick start, there is much more out there.
If you can find these, it would be a good start.

To find east, place youre right shoulder facing the direction of the sunset (west), then directly in front of you is south, behind you is north and the left is east.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 10 months ago #17641 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Beginner !!
Have a look at the Observing Challenges made up by some dedicated guys on this site. I only started earlier this year and found these to be great to start with for learning the sky.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 10 months ago #17658 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Beginner !!

Have a look at the Observing Challenges made up by some dedicated guys on this site. I only started earlier this year and found these to be great to start with for learning the sky.

Plus, as a bonus, you'll get a prestigious Observing Challenges Certificate according to the level you have completed a challenge! :)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17678 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Beginner !!

Plus, as a bonus, you'll get a prestigious Observing Vhallenges Certificate according to the level you have completed a challenge! :)

I really should actually start filling out my handbooks - I want one of them :D

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 10 months ago #17681 by noddy
Replied by noddy on topic saturn
Hello all again and many thanks for all your replies/help. Have been looking at mars through the telescope, but it seems to only appear to be a big ball of fire !! - using a wide lense first , then a closer in lense to see exact. Where can someone tell me is Saturn ?? trying to find it a few long cold nights !! with a bad twisted neck the next day !! - but having great fun finding out all these stars - saturn rings but are really getting to me, as cannot find them at all !! again, any help would be great

Stan

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds