Help needed

• mikeanywhere
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 10 months ago #35076 by mikeanywhere
Help needed was created by mikeanywhere
As I am getting slowly hooked on the night shots as I have recently posted. I am a little embarrassed to say that I only know one constilation.

So, is there anything anyone can recommend for online reading, "know your stars for Dummies" kinda books etc that arent too heavy going which will enable me to use it as part of the shots I plan on taking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #35077 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Help needed

As I am getting slowly hooked on the night shots as I have recently posted. I am a little embarrassed to say that I only know one constilation. So, is there anything anyone can recommend for online reading, "know your stars for Dummies" kinda books etc that arent too heavy going which will enable me to use it as part of the shots I plan on taking.

Jodrell Bank Observatory have a nice online monthly guide.
www.jb.man.ac.uk/public/nightsky.html

However, online resources aren't very good when you're out under the stars. You would be better off with something you can bring out. I would suggest you get a Planisphere to begin with. Some good bookshops sell them, otherwise the Astronomy & Space shop in Artane or the Armagh Planetarium, both do mail order. It's an inexpensive item but you can easily locate the various constellations by just dialling in the date and time on the rotating wheel.

Another good basic guide to the constellations is A Walk through the Heavens by Heifetz & Tirion, published by Cambridge. For a detailed guide, a good printed beginner's atlas is The Cambridge Star Atlas by Wil Tirion (colour atlas), published by Cambridge or even better, Star Atlas 2000.0, published by Sky & Telescope and Cambridge. The Deluxe Edition is in colour and the Desk Edition is black on white. Avoid the Field Edition which is white on black.

If you want a digital atlas, try Cartes du Ciel, a free downloadable program.

An excellent book for learning astronomy & the night sky is Nightwatch by Terence Dickinson - A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe published by Firefly.

For astrophotography, try The Practical Astronomer's Deep Sky Companion by Jess Gilmour, published by Springer. This book is organised by constellation with each spread featuring images, information, position, locator maps, recommended exposure times for telescopes of various apertures and more.

More
17 years 10 months ago #35080 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Help needed

I only know one constilation.

Constellation

:P

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 10 months ago #35091 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Help needed
Hi Mike,
A handy little free program is Stellarium.
www.stellarium.org
You just enter the Lattitude and Longitude for where you are and
it will show you real-time whats up there.

to get your Lat/Long go here,
www.tageo.com/index-e-ei.htm

Happy snapping.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
17 years 10 months ago #35098 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Help needed
There's also the Observing Challenges handbooks published here. I can't find them on the new layout tho :D

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
17 years 10 months ago #35102 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Help needed

There's also the Observing Challenges handbooks published here. I can't find them on the new layout tho :D

From my bookmarks:
www.irishastronomy.org/observers/challenges/index.php

Hasnt been converted to the new layout.

oh and a link to ILPAC would be nice too folks :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds