• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 4 months ago #45756 by voyager
Patrick Moore Sexist? was created by voyager
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6634255.stm

I really don't know what to make of this.

The following quote in particular is really very disturbing:

I used to watch Doctor Who and Star Trek, but they went PC - making women commanders, that kind of thing. I stopped watching

I can't stomach sexism. It's just wrong. Personally, I feel I can't buy any of his books etc anymore in good concience.

What do others think?

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45758 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Patrick Moore Sexist?
Bart --

I hear you.

I used to love reading Heinlein as a kid. Went back and read one as an adult -- Wow! Talk about sexist. I found it so disturbing that I couldn't even get through the story....

Be as that may be, I suppose one has to be judged in terms of one's time. Patrick and Robert are certainly of a different generation than I.

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
17 years 4 months ago #45760 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Patrick Moore Sexist?
If that comment upset you then stay away from reading about his politics!

I'd agree with someone said on the other topic this was posted on. T.V. is crap, too many soaps an reality stuff is on. Having TSAN on at the silly hour it is is of no benefit to anyone.

Not sure about his point about Dr. Who. I think its still great, though the Daleks are getting a bit wussy latley. Star Trek? Yea it got crap when Janeway started commanding :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 4 months ago #45761 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Patrick Moore Sexist?

If that comment upset you then stay away from reading about his politics!

I'd agree with someone said on the other topic this was posted on. T.V. is crap, too many soaps an reality stuff is on. Having TSAN on at the silly hour it is is of no benefit to anyone.

Not sure about his point about Dr. Who. I think its still great, though the Daleks are getting a bit wussy latley. Star Trek? Yea it got crap when Janeway started commanding :-)

I totally agree that TV sucks these days. No arguments there. What I have real issue with is a respected and supposedly very intelligent man blaming it all on women. I thought we'd come a lot further than that.

His work for Astronomy is amazing and should be applauded, but he needs to be tackled on this kind of tripe. He can't get a free pass for spreading bigotry just because he's Patrick Moore!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 4 months ago #45763 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re: Patrick Moore Sexist?
Sir Patrick is 84 years old and very old fashioned in some senses. I, for one, wouldn't take any offence at his views - it just made me laugh really.
Hopefully, most educated and intelligent men don't find women quite as threatening as Sir Patrick does!!

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
17 years 4 months ago #45764 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Patrick Moore Sexist?

He can't get a free pass for spreading bigotry just because he's Patrick Moore!

Apparently the interview was with the radio times where they were looking for celebrities views on the state of British television. They would have known well in advance that Patrick was going to come out with something like that and deliberately did the interview because of it.

He didn't use an interview about TSAN to have a go at women, the radio times asked him what he thought about the state of British TV and he told them!

I don't think its even worth tackling him on it. His views are obviously out of whack and cannot be taken even remotely seriously. These comments are more to be laughed at really (well that and to encourage you to buy the radio times!)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds