Moonlight found to encourage reef-building

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #52713 by Seanie_Morris
Moonlight found to encourage reef-building was created by Seanie_Morris
An odd, but interesting story, nonetheless...

By the light, of the silvery moon, corals get in tune, and soon, it's a spawning delight. While their silvery moon was written about people, songwriters Ray Noble and Snookie Lanson understood the motivation. Now, scientists think they may have found out how reef-building corals manage to coordinate their sex lives in moonlight bay. In late spring it's reef madness as corals release sperm and eggs into the water for a few nights after a full moon.

But how do they know?

Researchers led by Oren Levy of the Center for Marine Studies at the University of Queensland, Australia, studied corals on Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

They report in Friday's issue of the journal Science that while corals don't have eyes they are able to sense changes in light -- especially blue light -- and respond to them.

The corals contain ancient proteins called cryptochromes which react to light. Cryptochromes have also been found in mammals and insects where they effect the circadian clock that regulates the daily rhythms of life.

This finding indicates that the basic means used by mammals today to regulate daily patterns was in use at the beginnings of multicellular animals, the researchers said. And, they added, it supports the idea that these proteins evolved under the blue light of the ancient seas.

The research was funded by the Marie Curie International Outgoing Fellowship and the ARC Center for Excellence in Coral Reef Studies.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #52722 by pmgisme
Just goes to show.

We know more about the interiors of stars and galaxies than we know about the interiors of living organisms, the most complex objects in the known universe.

Peter.

More
16 years 11 months ago #52734 by dmcdona

We know more about the interiors of stars and galaxies than we know about the interiors of living organisms, the most complex objects in the known universe.
Peter.

Surely the universe is the most complex object in the, err, universe :?

More
16 years 11 months ago #52738 by pmgisme
Wouldn't know where in the universe to point my telescope to find the universe in the universe.

Me thick.

Peter.

More
16 years 11 months ago #52741 by dmcdona

Wouldn't know where in the universe to point my telescope

Anywhere will do....

More
16 years 11 months ago #52785 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Moonlight found to encourage reef-building

Surely the universe is the most complex object in the, err, universe :?

Intentional or not this brought a great smile to my face .... I like it!

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds