Chinese new year

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 7 months ago #61924 by pj30something
Chinese new year was created by pj30something
As some of us know 1st Feb is the Chinese new year. Today on tv i also heard it referred to as the "Lunar new year".

Can anyone explain this to me as i am a bit puzzled by it.

I know the moon orbits the earth in a monthly cycle..............

So would right now be a "New moon"? which the Chinese seem to base their annual calander on?....................a month behind the rest of us (as we base ours on one cycle of the earth around the sun)?

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #61931 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Chinese new year

So would right now be a "New moon"? which the Chinese seem to base their annual calander on?....................a month behind the rest of us (as we base ours on one cycle of the earth around the sun)?

The calendar is a mix of lunar and solar (a bit like the calculation of Easter). The 12 months are Lunar. But the winter solstice (a solar event) must occur in the 11th Lunar Month. It works out that usually the new year (first day of 1st Lunar month) starts on the second new moon after he Solstice; leading it to be also called lunar new year. Hence it occurs at a different date each year. Astronomically it follows that (roughly) the Chinese and western calendars sync up every 19 years, the Metonic cycle.

Oh and Chinese new year better be on the 7th not the 1st this year or I'll be in trouble with my girlfriend!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 7 months ago #61965 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Chinese new year
It is the 6th/7th, so says my local Chinese take away last week.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 7 months ago #61971 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Chinese new year

Oh and Chinese new year better be on the 7th not the 1st this year or I'll be in trouble with my girlfriend!

I'd be in trouble with the wife !!!

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
16 years 7 months ago #61983 by Dread
Replied by Dread on topic Re: Chinese new year
Check this book out www.amazon.com/Calendar-Humanitys-Strugg...80793245/ref=ed_oe_p . I read an earlier edition and enjoyed it.

Down with vwls.

Declan
Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50, Bresser Messier R102

More
16 years 7 months ago #62055 by Jovian79
Replied by Jovian79 on topic Re: Chinese new year

I'd be in trouble with the wife !!!

likewise - funny that. were away to Londons Chinatown for that weekend, so no observing, regardless of the weather!

Paul

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds