Life without the Moon?

• Jovian79
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 7 months ago #63861 by Jovian79
Life without the Moon? was created by Jovian79
After the recent eclipse that i didnt see (and im sure i wasnt alone), its a perfect time to look at our celestial partner :

[code:1]http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=942[/code:1] :wink:

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #63866 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Life without the Moon?
Jovian. you are not alone in missing the eclipse...
I just read that link regarding having no moon, and i know it has been the subject of much discussion among planetary scientists. I read a recent article (can't remember which astronomy magazine! ) which said that the incidence of moon formation similar to our own is relatively rare as far as can be seen :(
On the other hand there could be other beings looking at our system from across the gulf of space wondering how on "Galharbia" life could exist on such a planet as earth i.e. different mechanics might mean different biology... :shock: Life on earth appeared out of a hostile, hot, fast spinning planet with a moon so close it must of whipped the oceans into a frenzy....or maybe im mad :?

More
16 years 7 months ago #63867 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic Re: Life without the Moon?
Hi lads,

i watched a programme only this morning "The Universe" on discovery and it was all about the moon and what the world would be like without it made very intresting viewing.....and it gave an indepth view into how the moon came to be and all the theories threw the ages

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

More
16 years 7 months ago #63868 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Life without the Moon?
David Bell from SAC gave the same themed talk at Cosmos '04. He had some very valid arguments as to why we are a unique system for life in the Cosmos, and put a tentative argument forward that it was almost solely to do with our Moon. Some facts and figures as to why things are the way they are, and why they are not something else, due to the Moon, would really make you question whether our existence is based upon a fluke of cosmological evolution (Moon collides with Earth, and the rest is, well, history), or Intelligent Design.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 7 months ago #63893 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Life without the Moon?

David Bell from SAC gave the same themed talk at Cosmos '04. He had some very valid arguments as to why we are a unique system for life in the Cosmos, and put a tentative argument forward that it was almost solely to do with our Moon. Some facts and figures as to why things are the way they are, and why they are not something else, due to the Moon, would really make you question whether our existence is based upon a fluke of cosmological evolution (Moon collides with Earth, and the rest is, well, history), or Intelligent Design.

Seanie.

It all depends really on ones personal definition of 'Fluke' & 'Intelligent Deaign' !

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 7 months ago #63903 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Life without the Moon?
Intelligent design??, why not just say the earth was created in 7 days 4000 years ago.

I remember a program on how important the moon was for evolution of life on Earth and how it might not have been possible without it, somewhat convincing. IF its absolutely true then intelligent life must be extremely rare in the universe, I'm a believer that nature always finds a way.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds