Just what the heck is a solar BURP?

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 5 months ago #66713 by pj30something
Just what the heck is a solar BURP? was created by pj30something
I saw images on BBC's Newsround yesterday of something they called a solar "Burp".

To me it looked just like a solar flare but the difference being that the plasma ejected from the suns surface formed a bubble/ball.............and broke away from the solar surface.

Basically this bubble/ball of solar plasma was free floating completely detached from the solar surface......................

They said that such events can knock out satellites around the earth and disrupt earthly communincations..............

I know solar flares can do this.

I just have never seen or heard of a solar burp before.

Anyone wanna englighten me (and others)?

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #66714 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Just what the heck is a solar BURP?
Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) I presume is what they mean??

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 5 months ago #66725 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Just what the heck is a solar BURP?
Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) I presume is what they mean??

That's pretty much what i thought they meant but the image they showed...........showed a fully rounded globular circle of solar plasma floating freely of the solar surface a few million miles from the solar surface.

It was perfectly round and completely detached from the solar surface.

The only thing i know to compare it to is a lava lamp.......where globs of "lava" float away from the bottom of the lamp.

It really was strange.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 5 months ago #66741 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Just what the hell is a solar BURP?

I saw images on BBC's Newsround yesterday of something they called a solar "Burp".
To me it looked just like a solar flare but the difference being that the plasma ejected from the suns surface formed a bubble/ball.............and broke away from the solar surface.
Basically this bubble/ball of solar plasma was free floating completely detached from the solar surface......................
They said that such events can knock out satellites around the earth and disrupt earthly communincations..............
I know solar flares can do this.
I just have never seen or heard of a solar burp before.
Anyone wanna englighten me (and others)?

Yes, what Michael said, a Coronal Mass Ejection. Looks like the BBC is making up its own solar dictionary. CME's occur more frequently than you may think, perhaps once a day, year in, year out. It's only when they launch themselves in an unfavourable direction towards Earth that we sit up and take notice. A typical plasma ejection is around one billion tons. Some years ago, there was talk of a dedicated new satellite to provide early warning of CMEs but I don't think anything came of it.

More
16 years 5 months ago #66745 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Just what the heck is a solar BURP?
Paul,

Michael addressed your query perfectly. Here is a photo of mine which may also help: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Solar-Prominences-0001.htm .... some activity is displayed here as well: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Solar-Filaments-0001.htm ...

It is disappointing that someone (ex. BBC) complicates something much more than is actually necessary. :evil:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 5 months ago #66749 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Just what the heck is a solar BURP?
Remember, Newsround is a kids show. A solar burp strikes me as a much more child-friendly description than coronal mass ejection or CME. That would make no sense at all to a child, but a solar burb, that they'll get!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds