• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 7 months ago #42424 by dmcdona
Folks - this is a request to all IFAS clubs/societie reps

Saturday 21st April 2007 is International Astronomy Day

We are keen to hold Nationwide events in recognition of this day and would request that all clubs/societies affilated to IFAS try and hold a public event.

Additionally, UNICEF are keen to support the initiative and are willing to provide free advertising for all clubs/societies who hold an event where any donations collected are given to UNICEF. There is also a generic poster clubs/societies can use to advertise their events (it can be modified to include your own details and club/society logo).

The request at this stage is simply for clubs/society reps to contact me and let me know if they are willing to participate. I will then co-ordinate all the various events amongs the clubs and UNICEF.

If you want to run an event but do not wish to particpate on behalf of UNICEF, that's fine too (you may have a local charity you contribute to). But please still let me know details of your events.

I am also going to try and secure air-time on RTE to advertise all events (UNICEF or not).

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 7 months ago #42456 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: International Astronomy Day - Call for Participants
This is a great opportunity for clubs to outreach to their local community, raise much-needed funds for charity AND gain free publicity. A win-win situation, if you ask me.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 7 months ago #42592 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post

I have registered the Irish Astronomical Society as a participant in International Astronomy Day 2007 under the IFAS umbrella.

We almost always do these public star parties over two evenings in case the weather defeats us. April 21st is the offical Astronomy Day worldwide.

Joining us again this year with a twined event for UNICEF Ireland, is Tammy Plotner, from Ohio. Tammy is president of the Warren Rupp Observatory in the US, she will run a public star party on the same evening collecting some dollars to add to the Irish effort.

If other clubs are joining in I can add them and their plans to the Astronomical League website. International Astronomy Day is an event run by the Astronomical League.Just let me know asap.

Interested IFAS clubs must register both with UNICEF and with the Astronomical League to be officially included in this worldwide event.
If you post here to say you are taking part, please include what you intend to do, ie public star party, astronomy talk, astronomy film showing, et cetra et cetra.

If you want the offical poster with your details included, please let me know asap, so I can pop your information into the artwork.

Clubs will have to contact UNICEF Ireland direct to get the offical letter and stickers etc .
fundraising@unicef.ie Anne Marie Foran is the person to contact,she will post out UNICEF stuff to participating clubs, and is happy to answer any questions you may have.

The event is registered with UNICEF Ireland www.unicef.ie
as LOOK UP FOR UNICEF and they will put your details on their website and contact people on their substantial database to help it work.

Astronomy Day is about bringing astronomy to the people, its good for your club, its good for people, its good fun,and in this format its also good for a very active global charity.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
www.irishastrosoc.org

• DeirdreKelleghan
More
17 years 7 months ago #42695 by DeirdreKelleghan
www.unicef.ie/events.htm
LOOK UP FOR UNICEF is now being listed on the UNICEF Ireland website.

Interested clubs, post your details here as soon as you can.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
www.irishastrosoc.org

• DeirdreKelleghan
More
17 years 7 months ago #43207 by DeirdreKelleghan

We are as I said been joined by The Richland Astronomy Society in Ohio. They have got 4 posters, one for each event and one with all three included on the same poster.

Deise Astronomy Society based in Waterford are joining in and their details will appear here soon as I can do it.

Deirdre Kelleghan

• DeirdreKelleghan
More
17 years 6 months ago #43390 by DeirdreKelleghan

DEISE Astronomy Society in Dungarvan are on for this, details on poster above
I am well aware that this is weather dependant, but if we are lucky it will be a
really nice event for the public, for the astronomers and for the charity !!

Deirdre Kelleghan

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds