• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
17 years 6 months ago #45033 by albertw
David Malin + Meade special event was created by albertw
Hi all,

Thanks to Armagh Planetarium, who are sponsoring a special lecture tour by world-famous astrophotographer David Malin - "The Man Who Colours Stars". Working with the 150" AAT and the UK Schmidt Telescope at Siding Springs in Australia, David Malin developed special new techniques, such as unsharp masking, now universally used, and took astronomical photographs which were never equalled, let alone surpassed, until the HST was fixed. David will be visiting Galway, Limerick and Cork as part of this tour. Contact Prof Mike Redfern ( mike.redfern@nuigalway.ie ); Tony O'Hanlon ( tony.ohanlon@vitalograph.ie ), or Dr Niall Smith ( nsmith@cit.ie ) respectively, for further details.

But the IAA has teamed up with Armagh Planetarium and Meade Telescopes/ BCF/Telescope House to lay on an extra unmissable special event to coincide with David Malin's lectures at Armagh Planetarium, on Saturday 12 May.

The Planetarium will open at 11.30 a.m., when David Malin will give a SPECIAL, extra, lecture to IAA members and other amateur astronomers: this will go into more detail about the techniques and the astronomy, so this is an event not to be missed. Admission by ticket only, which must be pre-booked with the Planetarium.

And running from 1.30 until closing time at about 5 p.m., the IAA has arranged, through the one & only Dr Andy McCrea of North Down Telescopes, and BCF/Telescope House in London, a special MEADE TELESCOPE EVENT. Star of the show will be the new 16" Lightbridge Dobsonian - the first one in Ireland. There will also be the latest Meade LX200, & lots of smaller items including binoculars. Peter Gallon of BCF/Telescope House will be there to talk about all the latest products & equipment.

In addition, members of the IAA will be demonstrating some of their own telescopes & discussing the pros and cons of each type, and how to use them & get the best from them.

There will be a special discount price on the 16" Lightbridge, and you can haggle on other items!

David Malin's public lectures will be at 2.30 and 3.30, and also MUST be pre-booked with Armagh Planetarium.

N.B. Please specify to the Planetarium which lecture you intend to go to: 11.30 (for astronomers), or 2.30 or 3.30, for the public.

N.B. Normal admission charges to the Planetarium will apply that day, except for IAA members who are running the Telescope event. This admission charge will admit you to the exhibition area, or to the exhibition area + a show in the stardome, depending on what you want - different charges apply.

Further details on the Armagh Planetarium website: www.armaghplanet.com .

Remember, normal admission charges to the Planetarium apply, but there is no extra charge for the David Malin lectures, but you MUST pre-book to reserve a place at any of the Malin lectures.

More details later when available.

Clear Skies,

Terry Moseley

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #45041 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: David Malin + Meade special event
Folks - anyone interested in going up for this? Myself and Fiona would. Be nice to car-share/go in a convoy (rubber duck) :D

If folks are interested, perhaps we can pre-book en-masse and make it easier for the Planetarium...

Cheers
Dave

More
17 years 6 months ago #45042 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: David Malin + Meade special event

Folks - anyone interested in going up for this? Myself and Fiona would. Be nice to car-share/go in a convoy (rubber duck) :D

If folks are interested, perhaps we can pre-book en-masse and make it easier for the Planetarium...

Cheers
Dave

Was thinking the exact same thing myself... then I saw the dates (May 14th) I'll be in Canada during the time. I don't know if that merits a happy face or a sad face... ;)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 6 months ago #45045 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: David Malin + Meade special event

Was thinking the exact same thing myself... then I saw the dates (May 14th) I'll be in Canada during the time. I don't know if that merits a happy face or a sad face... ;)

Seanie,

There is a HUGE and friendly Irish community in Canada. I spent 27 years in Toronto and the Irish are very visible. I am sure you will enjoy your time!

Have fun!

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 6 months ago #45067 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: David Malin + Meade special event
Just to remind people, Dr Malin is coming to UL in Limerick as per details on the IFAS front page and its FREE. I didn't realise he was going to Cork and Galway , so maybe those clubs should put up some details.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 6 months ago #45068 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: David Malin + Meade special event

Seanie,

There is a HUGE and friendly Irish community in Canada. I spent 27 years in Toronto and the Irish are very visible. I am sure you will enjoy your time!

Have fun!

Anthony, maybe he's moving to Canada altogether :wink: :lol:
God help the astro community in Canada :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds