• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 9 months ago #59394 by michael_murphy
SDAS Observing Session Friday Jan 11th was created by michael_murphy
Hi All,

There will be an SDAS observing session tonight.

Meet in Enniskerry at 9:30 and go to Cloon (probably) but we will decide at the time.

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #59398 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: SDAS Observing Session Friday Jan 11th
Hi Michael,

The Weather Sat pics on Metcheck look mighty good alright. Much much better than for the last seesion on the 30th :D

I'd love to attend this session. The later time is perfect for me too. I finish work at 9pm in Bray and would head up straight from work.

I'll PM you my mobile number

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 9 months ago #59507 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: SDAS Observing Session Friday Jan 11th
Well, we finally got to do some actual observing :D .

Seven of us went off to Cloon wood. It was lovely and clear when we arrived. It true fashion, as soon as we had set up it began to cloud over but it was never fully clouded out and imporved lafer on.

It began to cloud over at about 01:30 and with the wind picking up we decided to call it a night.

Very enjoyable all the same - I saw M1 for the first time so I'm happy with that!

Michael.

More
16 years 9 months ago #59519 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: SDAS Observing Session Friday Jan 11th
Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for organising this. I had a fantastic night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Got to meet all you guys in person, got to look through everyones great Scopes, got to see various celestial objects much better in the dark skies than I could at home and even when the clouds "were stopping play', we all had a great laugh and some interesting topics of conversation while we waited for the clear skies.

I still think Philip has too many, "running into naturists and dogging couples during observing session" anecdotes for it to be a coincidence!! :D :D

So once again thanks for organising what for me was a thoroughly enjoyable night under the stars. I can't wait for the next one.

PS. Did anyone see the Deer at the side of the road on the way down!! Cool!! First time I saw any wildlife in the Wicklow mountains bigger than a pheasant!! :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 9 months ago #59533 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: SDAS Observing Session Friday Jan 11th
Yea, I second Keith's post. Thanks Michael for going to the effort of texting all of us, arranging it, and in my case giving me a lift to and from the observing session with all my gear. Its much appriciated.

It was my 1st observing session with a group, and its fantastic to meet some of the members on the boards and to get a look through various other scopes and eyepieces ( Dave Brannigan, thanks to you letting me look through your moonfish, I thought I had enough gear for the next few months, but your eyepiece has proven otherwise ).

also, as mentioned, the company and conversation make it enjoyable even when the clouds rolled in.

I went on a messier(mini) marathon, and saw for the first time M1, M34, M65&66, M95&96, The Double Cluster, M81&M82, and M97. All this and a host of objects im more familiar with.

Terriffic night. :lol:

More
16 years 9 months ago #59540 by bertthebudgie
Replied by bertthebudgie on topic Re: SDAS Observing Session Friday Jan 11th
Great time had :) Looking forward to the next clear night....

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds