Rev Grattan Bannister has passed away

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 years 10 months ago #75282 by Seanie_Morris
Rev Grattan Bannister has passed away was created by Seanie_Morris
I have just received news that Rev Grattan Bannister - Astronomer, Character, Gentleman - passed away after his short illness yesterday (Monday):

www.irishastronomy.org/forum?func=view&catid=11&id=74279

Host of the Pluto Parties in West Cork, he was an avid observer of the stars with focus on Variables. He also presented talks at the Irish Astrofest (now Cosmos), the IAS, the IAA, CAC, and more throughout his time. He was also known for his love of the Irish language, and for his small motorcycle as his only local mode of transport! Terry Moseley sent a nice eulogic description of him if you are on his mailing list. Grattan will be missed.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #75284 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Re:Rev Grattan Bannister has passed away
Rest in peace Reverend Grattan Bannister, a true gentleman & scholar, what a pity I not take you for a spin on the back of my 1200cc motorcycle at your house this summer when you asked me, I was afraid you might fall off, all of that knew him will have very fond memories of this kind humble person

i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/irishb...ium.jpg?t=1229456190
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by ei5fk.

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #75292 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re:Rev Grattan Bannister has passed away
Sad to hear of his passing:(
Grattan was a long standing member of the IAS. This year we have lost some distinguished Astronomers - Maire Bruck, Grattan Bannister, Eunan Murray............
May they rest in the arms of Orion.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by JohnMurphy.

More
15 years 10 months ago #75293 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Rev Grattan Bannister has passed away
Sorry to hear the sad news.
Unfortunately I never met the man, but it sounds like he was a real character and a gentleman.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Michael O'Connell
IFAS Chair

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #75294 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Rev Grattan Bannister has passed away
Terry's message from his e-mail listing:

It's also with great regret that I have to pass on the news of the death on Monday 15 December of the Rev Grattan Bannister, of Ballydehob, Co Cork, after a short illness. Grattan was one of those unique people whom it's almost impossible to describe. A true gentleman of the old school, a refined, polite and kindly man, and a real character. I don't know his age, but he would have been around 80 as far as I know, and had been actively observing until his recent illness. His particular interest was variable stars, especially eruptive variables such as SS Cygni.
At my original suggestion, he hosted 'Pluto Parties' every summer in West Cork, where on suitable weekends some of his friends, particularly from the Cork Astronomy Club, would gather in either Ballydehob where he lived, or at the house of two close friends, Bill & Jane Otway in Schull, and we would attempt to see Pluto visually through a selection of telescopes. I attended on every year except one, attracted as much by the craic and the company as by the chance to see Pluto again. We were often beaten by last-minute changes in the weather, but on at least one occasion we did see it in the good old-fashioned way: photons from Pluto directly into your eyes! That was when it was still a planet, BTW, so there are a few of us who have seen all NINE planets in the Solar System with our own eyes!
Grattan was a great correspondent, and the arrival of a letter from him, in perfect 'copperplate' handwriting, was always a welcome treat. He was a great linguist, and would often quote something from Greek or Hebrew at you, just to make a particular point. And all the meals at the West Cork astronomy events were preceded by Grattan's 'Grace' in Irish. He was not widely known outside the Cork & West Cork circle simply because he lived so far away, and as he did not drive but travelled locally on a tiny motorcycle he was not able to journey very far himself. He always dressed totally in black, and with his tiny, thin and fragile frame, it was amazing how he would go out in the small hours of a winter night just to get some particular observation.
Anyone who had the pleasure of meeting him will know what I mean when I say that we have lost a true gentleman, and a fine amateur astronomer. I will miss him greatly.

Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by michaeloconnell.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 10 months ago #75299 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:Rev Grattan Bannister has passed away
I never met Eunan or Rev Bannister but I hear they made interesting contributions to astronomy in Ireland.

Rest in Peace

Deirdre Kelleghan
President Irish Astronomical Society
PRO IFAS

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.

- Ptolemy,c.150 AD

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds