Ya cant have too many observatories

• dmolloy
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #93891 by dmolloy
Ya cant have too many observatories was created by dmolloy
Great night last night and a memberable one... Midlands Astronomy club members finally, after many kind invitations from Mr John Nooney to visit his observatory at Clonkill near mullingar....we got there. John has three observatories on site built over several years of interest in astronomy and an awesome collection of telescopes- some of which were built by John (including mounts and drives)
We arrived around 8.00pm and had a tour of both the observatories as well as lecture rooms and and other rooms and facilities dedicated to the subject of astronomy. After some tea and coffee, John gave us a real time demonstration on processing images using computer software. finally as the skies were clear we were again invited into one of the observatories to have a look through one of the large telescopes....an extraordinary and generous host ......anyway thanks John and all who attended....and if you out there think you have to many telescopes at home :D ....remember ya cant have too many scopes or observatories :mad:

Declan Molloy
Midlands Astronomy Club
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by dmolloy. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #93904 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Ya cant have too many observatories
Pity I couldn't make it.
Sounds like you all had fun.

More
12 years 5 months ago #93909 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re: Ya cant have too many observatories
Hi Declan. Please give us some details about the observations and John Nooney's telescopes. Thanks.

Aubrey.

• dmolloy
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 5 months ago #93914 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Ya cant have too many observatories
To be honest, I only stayed for a little observing - but if memory serves me right John has a homebuilt 17 inch newtonion in one observatory with a sophisticated self built mount. The observatory itself is large around 16 foot in diameter with a monorised roof. The other observatory is a traditional dome construction with (I think) a 14 inch SCT type instrument. his oldest dome is built into the house and its floor level is approximately 8 foot above floor level, as I've said a brilliant experience, John is not only a intutitive engineer but also a scholar and gentleman - a great evening :woohoo:

Note: there was chocolate biscuits too :silly:

Declan

More
12 years 5 months ago #93915 by manic_dave
Replied by manic_dave on topic Re: Ya cant have too many observatories
here are some photos I took at Clonkill ther other night.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.101507...332.700512241&type=3

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

More
12 years 5 months ago #93916 by donnellan.brendan
Replied by donnellan.brendan on topic Re: Ya cant have too many observatories
Ya i wanted to go too but had work : angry:, that link Dave says content unavailable glad to hear you had a good night anyway.

Brendan.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds