K-Tec

Sandymount observing -Friday 17th May

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 5 months ago #97595 by flt158
Hi everybody. Does anyone want to come along to the Martello Tower car park in Sandymount on Friday 17th May from about 8.30pm? Our Sun sets at about 9.30 and the first stars appear at 10pm. As usual, I shall be down with my 6.2" apo and all are welcome with or without any astronomical equipment.
The Moon will be visible and even perhaps the rarely seen "Lunar X" close to the terminator. Saturn is on too and a host of doubles and carbon stars.
The weather is said to clear up from 7pm onwards.
Looks like it could be a late night!

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #97596 by PaulWalsh
Replied by PaulWalsh on topic Re: Sandymount observing -Friday 17th May
I will be there but it could be after 9 before I get there.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 5 months ago #97597 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re: Sandymount observing -Friday 17th May
It will be great to have you, Paul.
Better late than never.

Aubrey.

More
11 years 5 months ago #97599 by Marto
Replied by Marto on topic Re: Sandymount observing -Friday 17th May
Hmm, would like to go, but it might be bad weather later?
I believe Saturday is a washout with Sunday being "OK" and monday very good.
We'll see how it pans out, but if it's clear later I'll try drop down.

All the best
Martin

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 5 months ago #97600 by flt158
You are welcome to join us, Marto. All the websites are saying clouds are only arriving after 4am. Saturday will be a genuine wet day and night.

Aubrey.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 5 months ago #97606 by flt158
Hi everyone. This is the report of Friday night at the Martello Tower in Sandymount. It was great to meet up with Liam Smyth, Bob O'Brien, Roger, Paul Byrne and Paul Walsh. Skies were reasonably clear at the start. And before the stars came out, what other object is there to look at only the Moon? It was almost half phase and seven days old. We were hoping to see the Lunar X which was on the terminator at 12 noon. I could identify the feature -but it was well in from the terminator. The craters responsible for this apparition are: Purbach, La Caille, Blanchinus and Werner. The X was not distinctive enough -although it was visible.
The northern part was very interesting indeed. The Alpine Valley was quite stunning. What stole the show for me was Mons Piton -an isolated mountain 2250 metres high. There was also a very strange feature right on the terminator just south of Mons Piton. It is on Map 12 of Antonin Rukl's book Atlas of the Moon and is simply labelled by the Greek letter Gamma. According to Bob O'Brien's App it is a flooded crater.
Paul Byrne got a glimpse of Jupiter -but the sky was becoming increasingly more hazy and people started to go home. Soon there was only Paul Walsh and his son Joshua left, and the only stars visible were Arcturus and Vega.
However, I thought that I would have a go at spotting Izar (Epsilon Bootis). Despite the fact the star was invisible, I found it in the guidescope at 11X. What amazed all 3 of us was we could split it at a mere 112X!!. I normally need 167X to get a clean split, but last night we split it at 112X, 140X and 167X. The primary was orange and the secondary was a slight blue -beautiful. What clearly was happening was the thick hazy sky conditions was causing the primary to be dimmer.
We went home at midnight. What say we do all again on either Friday 14 or 21 June?

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, PaulWalsh

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds