A personable piece of rock...

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 1 month ago #50996 by dmcdona
A personable piece of rock... was created by dmcdona
Folks - I finally managed to get a good run on Friday night and took a few shots of MPL 16693 - or better known to some of us here as (16693) Moseley.

It was great to get this as I'd thought I'd missed the chance over the summer months with the terrible weather and all.

So, Terry - there you are, perpetually orbiting the pale blue dot. And what a comfort that is. Don't get too close though :wink:

As it happens, I couldn't quite fit another asteroid in my same field of view - (3811) Karma. What a nice image that would have made - Moseley and Karma....

Cheers

Dave

www.astroshack.net/gallery/solarsys/MPL16693.php

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #51001 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: A personable piece of rock...
That is class Dave !! :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 1 month ago #51027 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: A personable piece of rock...
Nice image and nice bio of Terry there.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 1 month ago #51037 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: A personable piece of rock...
That's brilliant Dave! I also enjoyed reading the bio of Terry. You've done McConnell haven't you? IIRC the only other two in the set are Corvan and McKenna - am I right?

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 1 month ago #51055 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: A personable piece of rock...
:oops: The bio of Teryy was, err, lifted from another webpage so others must take the credit... But glad you like it - I did!

As regards other asteroids named after Irish folks, there are at least three more that I know of - MEBailey, Apostolis Christou and McKenna. I'm sure there are more too - Enya just sprung to mind. There's also a couple named afer Armagh Observatory.

I had a look at Bailey - that's a toughy. Doesn't get much brighter than mag 18 - at least in the timeframe I was looking. The others, I've not done any research at all though I recall McKenna being a tough nut too from research I did in the past.

So, as it stands, I have McConnell, Corvan and Moseley. Whilst not strictly Irish (AFAIK), I also have JaneMojo - Jane and Morris were here at the last Whirlpool and I said I'd give it a shot. It took me nearly 12 months but I got there.

The others may take equally as long but they are all on the list. It would be a nice project to get them all done as some small recognition of the significant contributions all of these folks have made to Irish Astronomy.

Dave

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 1 month ago #51197 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: A personable piece of rock...
Mckenna is mag 22+ at the mo. It'll brighten to less than mag 18 - next August :roll:

MEBailey brightens to less than 18 in April next year - that's a possibility.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds