• eclipsedan
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 week ago #15655 by eclipsedan
Arc and sundog! was created by eclipsedan
Hi guys,

It's been a good day of solar activity. I also got this shot of an arc. Can someone please identify which arc it is? A sundog was also visible to the right of the sun and I have a few shots of it which I might add later.

I hope you enjoy!

Details of first pic. Canon 20D with 17-40L f4 @ 23mm, f9 and 1/3200s. ISO400.

Deatils of second. Canon 20D with 70-200L f4 @ 70mm, f7.1 and 1/2500s. ISO400.

Thanks,

Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 week ago #15656 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Arc and sundog!
hi Dan,

beautiful shots . . . many thanks for the call earlier about the display. The phenomenon is definitely an upper tangent arc. Les Crowley's web site at www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/phenom.htm has a nice example in the "Ice Halos" section. Well worth looking at too are Pekka Paraveninen's photos at www.polarimage.fi

atb,

John

More
19 years 1 week ago #15660 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Arc and sundog!
WOW That is an excellent set of images!

It looks like you have captured a 22* solar halo, a solar pillar, sundogs and what looks like a very pronounced upper tanget arc!

Amazing!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• eclipsedan
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 week ago #15661 by eclipsedan
Replied by eclipsedan on topic Re: Arc and sundog!
Thank you very much for the links, John - they're wonderful. The Finnish photographer's works is superb!

Also many thanks to you, Martin. I always love to see your posts as you tend to get brilliant images of these phenomena. Certainly I did see 2 sundogs, a 22degree halo, a solar pillar and that upper tanger tangent arc - but not all at the same time for one great photo! Still I'm very pleased with what I got :)

I couldn't believe it when I looked out the window and saw the arc. I clumped my camera gear into my chest and climbed onto the garage roof.

It's been a good day! Now, a nice auroral storm would really top it off. Do I ask too much? :D

More
19 years 1 week ago #15686 by shanemcd
Replied by shanemcd on topic Re: Arc and sundog!
I may have seen something similar on the same day

and a close-up

If anyone can let me know what this is ... is it an arc or a sun-dog ??

Observed around 4:30pm in Naas, on 11th September.

More
19 years 1 week ago #15690 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Arc and sundog!
hi Shane,

very nice pictures . . . they bring out the colour well. What you have captured is a sundog or "mock-Sun". The technical name is a parhelion ("beside the Sun") -- you can also get parselenes (beside the Moon) but these are fainter because the light source, the Moon, is obviously fainter.

sundogs always sit on the 22° halo, the most common "ring" around the Sun though you don't necessarily need to see the halo to have a sundog.

look closely at the outside edge of a sundog and you can sometimes see they have a "tail"! This is the parhelic circle which, as the name suggests, is a thin strip of light parallel bisecting both the 22° halo and the Sun itself. It can stretch almost the whole way around the sky parallel to the horizon but at the same altitude as the Sun. I think Les Crowley's site mentioned above has a photo of one.

John

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds