M36

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16015 by dmcdona
M36 was created by dmcdona
Folks - after diving Kylie into the ground (long story and a bent dew-shield and split cable later...) I calmed down enough to shoot the core of M36. I gave this a go because I've managed to get the mount even closer to perfect polar alignment. I can keep a star cetered in a 15 arcminute square field in the same spot for over 4 minutes now. I kept the exposure long to tryand get some dimmer stars in the field but without burning the image out. Another challenge was the breeze. Evidently not a challenge in the slightest for Kylie....

All in all, after a fraught evening, I was pretty pleased with progress.

I have a ton more images to process - watch this space and enjoy.
Cheers
Dave McD

Image details:

Object - M36
Date/time - 27/09/05 00:27 UTC to 27/09/05 00:37 UTC
Exposure - 30 sec
Image no. - 20
Imager - DSI
Mount - AP1200
Scope - C8 SCT with 6.3 focal reducer
Software - Autostar suite, Photoshop 7, FITS plugin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16016 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: M36
its like one of those sky1 series, "shen slewing goes wrong". :lol:
I know the feeling, my camera doesn't clear the mount, and if I slew too near the pole, bammm :shock:

Nice image, tracking looks bang on.!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 11 months ago #16017 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: M36
That is a nice miage alright. Even in black and white, its still got plenty of detail there. Nice work Dave!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16025 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: M36
Cheers lads.

Dave - luckily, all the gear cleared the mount (except the dew dewshield) but the Dec cable was wrapped aroung the Dec head so tight I couldn;t slip it off. So I had to reverse up hte motor. I think slightly loose clutched prevented even more damage... 'When GEM's go berserk' - could be an 18 rated program!

Tracking is very very close now - over the next while I'll tweak it even more then program the PEC. I'm hoping to 5 minute unguided exposures without any trailing, at this field of view. Then I'm going to have a go at a few dim nebulas. And I'll have a bash at doing colour Seanie!

Cheers

Dave

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 11 months ago #16028 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: M36
Great progress Dave. Looks like you've gotten that polar alignment well sorted. Nice image!!

I did a bit of a calculation and assuming you havent cropped that image your DSI/C8 combo gives an image scale of 1.6(H) x 1.22(V) arcsecs per pixel. Now i estimate the faintest stars on the image to be 4-6 pixels across. thus having a horizontal full width of 6.4-9.6 arcsecs. Knowing that the tracking looks totally perfect( Just look at those lovely round stars) means that you could probably tighten the focus a tad. See if you cant get that focus inside 3 pixels!!

That mount is such a sweetie, does she have a sister?

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16031 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: M36
Cheers Dave - there was a small bit of cropping - maybe 10% horizontal and vertical.

The calculated image scale at F6.3 is 1.4 arcsec/pixel with a FOV of 10 * 13 arcmins. At F10, its 0.88 arcsec/pixel and FOV 6.3 * 8.4 arcmin. However, I have to admit to a bit of confusion on DSI pixel sizes and array size so I may be a tad out. I've seen 10 x 10 pixel size and 9.6 x 7.5 from different sources, which doesn't help.

The reason the stars are somewhat bloated is that I have the IR filter removed. In the early days, it was adding too much crud to the image and I hadn't taken any flat frames. That's another next step :D

Focus is bang on though - if you're a little out of focus with the SCT, you end up with doughnuts. I take about 15 mins or so to focus on a vriety of bright, medium and dim stars. If I get lucky, I check focus on the moon or a planet. I'm usually bang on.

With the IR filter, I'd expect even tighter stars. But with me going for nebulas next (I have a Lumicon UHC filter) I'm not sure I can or should use these in tandem....

As for a sister, There may be a smaller sibling soon - an AP900. But that would be greedy... :wink:

Cheers

Dave McD

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds