K-Tec

First webcam image

More
18 years 8 months ago #21991 by Neill
First webcam image was created by Neill
Hi guys,

Took the below shot on Sat night. Its my first attempt at a webcam image. I would appreciate your feedback so I could get better at it.

Details

Date taken - Sat 14/1/06
Meade ETX 70
Phillips Toucam Pro II
310 frames stacked in registax v3
Some basic darkening processing in Phillips vLounge Arcsoft Photobase

Neill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #22001 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: First webcam image
Super first attempt Neil, well done! :shock:

Obviously, focus seems to be the only issue of major concern. How did you mount the webcam? Was it the conventional sense, or did you actually remove the outer lens housing and use the scope as the lens? If it is the latter, then I think you just need to mess around with the scopes own focusing knob to get it right.

But, as you used Registax, the out of focus could also be due to too many frames being used. Windy conditions and/or an unsteady mount will cause the Moon to shudder from frame to frame, thus when all of the frames are stacked, the end image will appear slightly blurred. Try using less frames, and increase the exposre time of each frame i.e. less frames per second.

As I am like you, only experimenting at the moment, I am sure the more experienced camera observers will give you further, better advice! :D

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 8 months ago #22003 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Webcam image
Hi Seanie,

Thanks for the feedback. The webcam was screwed into the standard webcam adaptor and placed into where the eyepiece normally goes. In terms of registax, I did stack all the frames - my frame rate was 10fps, should I try 5fps? I will eliminate some of the bad frames in future.

More
18 years 8 months ago #22016 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: First webcam image
That's agreat start Neill! Just think how great the images will be when you get some practice!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 8 months ago #22029 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: First webcam image
Neil,
I would try to use more exposure, its abit dim. Focusing is the bane of every astrophotographer, practice is the only thing that will help you there.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 8 months ago #22070 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Webcam Image
Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. I tried again last night and restacked the orginal - only the first 50 frames and also I didn't darken the image this time as I had done with the first.

Neill

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds