K-Tec

Saturn Transit of Beehive Cluster M44 - Winter 05-06

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 6 months ago #24469 by Keith g
Hello All, I've set my sights on doing this project for some time now, and have had the chance to carry it out over the last two months or so. This
is a colour picture I've put together for the very first time using photoshop, of the planet Saturn transiting the beehive cluster M44 in Cancer. Visually this has been a lovely sight over the winter, and I've always wanted to show a planet as it transits across another object in the sky.

I started out on the night of December 26th last, and have added a total of six exposures all of the same settings to combine this together. I did'nt really know how it was going to turn out, but I don't think it's too bad! These shots were taken piggyback on board a C8 on the nights of Dec26, Jan8, Jan21, Jan29, Feb3 and Feb20. Saturn looks different in each exposure due to weather conditions, I had a lot of cloud to deal with from time to time, and also differing degrees of light pollution, wind, fog etc. but here is the end result.

Saturn starts off at left, and moves right, it is seen to move across the beehive due to Earth's faster orbit around the sun, effectively showing Saturn being 'overtaken' as we orbit the sun. This is certainly the most challenging one I've taken to date, but overall I'm happy with it.

Details: Canon 300D, Canon ef 85mm F1.8 Lens at F3.2, ISO400, 6x4minute exposures, Combined in ps...
Hope you like it...
Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #24473 by Eirikg

More
18 years 6 months ago #24474 by martinastro
Very nice work indeed Keith!! :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 6 months ago #24475 by dave_lillis
Very nice Keith, its interesting to see how the image of saturn has changed over the month. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 6 months ago #24477 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Saturn Transit of Beehive Cluster M44 - Winter 05-06
nice image keith.
One question: were the spikes added in after by any chance? The seem to be at different angles to each other...just wondering?

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 6 months ago #24480 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

its interesting to see how the image of saturn has changed over the month. Smile

Yeah, Saturn directly under the cluster was when it was at opposition, so it was a bit brighter :D

were the spikes added in after by any chance? The seem to be at different angles to each other...just wondering?

Michael, I just added the spikes myself with wire over the lens, the only reason that they are at different angles is probably due to where I had the camera pointed at each set up, or the way I put them on myself. Nothing to do with the planet though, it actually looks like it's wobbling :P

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds