K-Tec

faster than light travel

More
15 years 11 months ago #67891 by heretic5
Replied by heretic5 on topic Re: faster than light travel

Virtual realities. mmmmm....{snipped}I believe that we are all capable of creating our own reality - mine is no doubt different than yours, and where they overlap (shared reality if you will) is what you termed "natural reality".

Well, although shared reality perhaps need an additional name, I had in mind self-existent reality as the definition for the phrase "natural reality" in contrast to an artificial reality, that is, a non-self-existent reality, which is more well-known as a virtual reality.

As to a natural, or self-existent reality, I believe that there is merely one, the entity who originated the virtual reality in which all of the additional virtual realities are nested, ad infinitum, and who sustains all of the virtual realities, including the first one. That is to say, the originator of all originators does not have an environment because space, time, mass and energy exist only in the imagination of the originator of all originators, and the imagined copies of said entity.

This {nested virtual realities} to me is a bit bogus (though not impossible) as it brings up the problem of origin, i.e. are we a simulation inside a simulation inside a simulation inside a simulation ad infinitum.

Yes, exactly so.

BTW thanks for the link to Mills book I must download and read it.

Good idea, although it's over 1,200 pages.

Being a heretic is not automatically being wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #67896 by heretic5
Replied by heretic5 on topic on the road to making our own virtual reality?
www.theweirdpost.com/wordpress/2008/05/p...aller-than-a-marble/ offers a report about an attempt of ours to form a scale model of a universe.

Being a heretic is not automatically being wrong.

More
15 years 11 months ago #67900 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: faster than light travel

As to a natural, or self-existent reality, I believe that there is merely one, the entity who originated the virtual reality in which all of the additional virtual realities are nested, ad infinitum, and who sustains all of the virtual realities, including the first one. That is to say, the originator of all originators does not have an environment because space, time, mass and energy exist only in the imagination of the originator of all originators, and the imagined copies of said entity.

This sounds like a familiar God Quest to me. I hope that is not your intent. If you are suggesting that we are all a creation in the mind of some "being" external to our "reality" (Universe or whatever), who are we to say that he is not also a creation of someone else's intellect? Back to ad-infintum again. This path has no answer or end, and I will not argue it further as it is pointless and purely speculative and can never be contemplated as even remotely scientific.

If on the other hand you have some scientifically verifiable evidence of this Original Entity then, pray, do share........

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
15 years 11 months ago #67901 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: faster than light travel
OOooops sorry just cliked on the link in your profile ( greatriddle.flifree.com/a-new.htm ) and I will not contribute any more to this post. I just don't see the point in arguing over the existence or not of a non-entity. Sorry if that offends, it's just my reality. :)

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
15 years 11 months ago #67936 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: faster than light travel
Ah, the 19th century version of Scientology! :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds