K-Tec

I'm on a roll!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 weeks 20 hours ago #112353 by Until_then-Goodnight!
I'm on a roll! was created by Until_then-Goodnight!
Hello everybody,

I hope you're all doing well.

In recent weeks I purchased an f/5 120mm Skywater Refractor scope. Since buying it I am finding it much easier to get out an observe the night sky. For example, I've been out three times in just over a week! In addition to finding an easier way to observe the heavens with the new scope, I've also found a much quicker way to sketch while at the eyepiece.

This new sketching processes involves a small black notebook, and white gel pens. I got the idea from a fellow astronomical sketcher on Cloudy Nights, and I very much enjoy it. While I lose out on some detail, I make up for it in productivity. So, with the new more efficient set-up, I hope to produce many more sketches over the coming months.

In the meantime, the sketches you see below were taken over the last two nights. The first one was Friday 12 April 2024, and the second one was Saturday 13 April 2024. Both are Lunar sketches. Each sketch contains a full view at 22X, and a close-up view at 67X. The close-up sketch from Friday night focused on area near Mare Crisium, and the sketch from Saturday focused on the area near Mare Nectaris, specifically Fracastorius. 

Although I read the latest edition of 'Orbit' earleir in the day, I must thank my good friend Aubrey for reminding of John's Flannery's note in it. Aubrey explained how the satelite crater of Fracastorius D would take the form of a snail around 20:00UT. Increasing the magnification to 67X showed the little snail crawl around the eastern rim of Fracastrorius.  

The number of session I have recorded in just over a week seems to support the idea that 'the best scope one owns is the one they use most'. And it is for this reason, I have come to love my new small refractor!

Clear skies to all,

Darren.

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, donalmcnamara, flt158, Fermidox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 8 hours ago #112357 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic I'm on a roll!
Great sketches Darren,

Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #112358 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic I'm on a roll!
You're very kind Michael...BTW, your advice of putting some WD40 into the mount worked really well - there's definitely less friction. So, 'thank you'.

Clear skies,

Darren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

More
1 week 3 days ago #112361 by Neil40
Replied by Neil40 on topic I'm on a roll!
Very cool.

Neil

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds